Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chaps

I've just been informed that we have no documents, paperwork, log book, anything at all with our name on saying we own my 69 bug which we bought 20 years ago....

How do I get it registered? I still have the old number plates and the chassis/engine numbers.. Chap who sold it to us never gave us anything apart from the car.

Ta

p.s. do i need to get one of these birth certificates i found on here somewhere..:-

http://automuseum.volkswagen.de/urkunden.html

p.p.s been on the DVLA website, search comes up with no details but talks about having to go through a VW owners club.

·
Premium Member
8,812 Posts
If you've got the right reg number, just apply for the Registration certificate, fill in a form from the Post office, and send it to DVLA with the fee £19 I think. Do it as soon as poss.
As long as nobody has bought the Reg. number (for a personalised thingy), you'll get the reg doc in your name.
It may not say that it's Historic Vehicle class, that can only be allocated when you apply for a tax disk.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Anyone know how long this takes? DVLA say possibly two weeks, up to six weeks, but anyone got experience of it? I've had to apply for a V5 for a Beetle I've recently acquired.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
they will write to the last registered owner to check that he doesnt own it any more so it can take a while.

I've had one back in less than 2 weeks before, but another has taken 4 or 5.

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
19,332 Posts
There is a cut off date from when it was last taxed etc to if it's on the computer system or not. My Dad had to reregister his Austin 7 because it hadn't been taxed since 1980-something so wasn't on the sytem. He had to re register it (even tho he had the V5) to tax it.

·
Banned
18,444 Posts
Shamrockez said:
There is a cut off date from when it was last taxed etc to if it's on the computer system or not. My Dad had to reregister his Austin 7 because it hadn't been taxed since 1980-something so wasn't on the sytem. He had to re register it (even tho he had the V5) to tax it.
Tis true
:eek:

·
Registered
139 Posts
camparikiller said:
Shall we have a race Kmac? I'll send mine off tomorrow! :)
OK, let you know how it goes. I know the previous keeper left the car five years ago to a garage telling them to get what they could for it and use the money for it's storage/ground rent, he then moved to London and hasn't been seen since. Car stood outside all this time. DVLA won't get a reply from the previous keeper, least not at his old address anyhow. How long would they give it before they register a new keeper, could this drag on for ever?

·
I'm not an addict... honest!
4,529 Posts
I would try and get in touch with your local office (if you have one) mine have helped me out fantastically trying to sort out the V5 on my bus. A quick inspection at my house today has set things straight, I now have the direct line number for the office as opposed to going through the very slow swansea switchboard and when I pop down next week with all my evidence they are going to sort it all out on the spot.

The DVLA aren't as scary as some people make out after all, they just want your vehicle to be legal.

I lost the previous owners details on my 69 bug resto before I got a chance to register it, that was sorted out on the spot a my local office too.

Cheers, Adrian

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, just got back form the local DVLA in bournemouth

Bugger is, I have to re-register, yes, it's unlikely to have been taxed for 25 odd years and they have no record of it.

Once i get all the documents (insurance, MOT, proof of age) they will do it in 2 days.

Thing is, I don't really want to have to spend another 30 quid getting that age certificate from VW in Germany. Is there a way round it?

I have the old number plate, he suggested I take it with me next time, although christ knows why, cos if he can't find it on the DVLA database then I'm not sure what good it will do.

But if I do take it, is there a snowflakes chance in hell they will accept that as proof of age and thus save me the £30??!?

If not, is there a VW UK place I can get the certificate, I only have the German website and its all in German.

Cheers

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
19,332 Posts
UK place does it but I think it's around £30 anyway. I think NicBC will do one for you for about £10.

I *think* those are the prices anyway.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts