Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a problem with my split when the oil hose from the pump to the remote oil filter and back again were run inbetween the headers of my exhaust. One hose was slightly touching the header and melted thus dumping oil all over my hot exhaust.

I have now repositioned the remote filter to give me more room to run the hoses under the headers - not ideal as they are a bit low but better than the small gap between the header pipes.

Now which hoses to go for - normal rubber hoses lagged with heat shield wrap, braided hoses or full-on stainless steel braided hoses? Or you can get the high temp hoses and stainless steel sleeves seperately?

Any advice?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking at the picture, that still seems a bit close to the headers - i have run mine under but they now hang a bit low for my taste.

I might go the full hog and lag the exhaust and get the stainless steel braided hose or braided hose with the stainless steel sleeve and run the pipes between the headers (tie-wrapped with stainless steel ties).

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only problem is that the stainless steel braided hoses are £16-20 a metre whilst the high temp ones are £8 a metre (but you also need the stainless steel sleeving)! I need a couple of them. Anyone know anywhere cheaper?

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Think automotive 02085681172 do a hose at about £8 per metre, available in black or blue which is good for 150 degrees c, rather than rubber that is good for 90 degrees with bursts to 105 (R6 spec)
Careful with braided rubber hoses though, you can't see if theyre beginning to fail. Rubber is mainly organic and coos and becomes brittle. The Think hose is not organic.
They also do loads of wonderful different hose covers for the nasty bit that runs by the Manifolds.

I modify the bottom gallery, above the oil pump, and bring my hoses up into the engine compartment, out through bulkhead fittings and back into the top gallery of the case. That way nothing needs to go near the headers. People have slagged it off over the years but I've never had an engine fail because of it. It also means you can use swept bends in your oil pipes rather than those nasty little 90degree unions that come in the cooler kits.

If you get a catalogue off think, prepare to drool.

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
you'll need to get an adapter male 2 male, they need to have the thread the same as the barbed connector on one end and the stainless connector hose thread on the other. The choice of which is up to you

Sorry to but in,
Here lies the problem which common thread. I have a slight inverse problem I have a auto semi dual oil pump that the second pump in it I want to pump from the turbo. I have drag 4 into one exhaust and I am wondering about heat and oil leakage too.

The original pump used an aluminium solid conduit that screwed onto the pump. The inlet being 16mm 1.5 metric. I presume this would be better to use. Can I still buy it made to length from somewhere and is it safer. What fittings did it use and where can it be bought, please?

Max

1 - 12 of 12 Posts