Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a rounded allen key bolt thats recessed. Not sure how to remove as drilling the bugger didn't work and neither did cutting a groove. Any ideas?

cheers :)

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
as in tap the chisel into the top and use it for more leverage as opposed to a screw driver? Sorry probs being really thick but not quite following what you mean mate :eek:

·
Registered
783 Posts
jmsheahan said:
as in tap the chisel into the top and use it for more leverage as opposed to a screw driver? Sorry probs being really thick but not quite following what you mean mate :eek:
Get a spline drive bit thats slightly larger than the allen key now hammer it into the bolt as far as you can, now simply undo it ;)

The bloody times ive rounded out allen bolts :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
No, use the chisel at an angle to the bolt so it starts to cut a groove in it. Hopefully it will help it undo (the shock will help it too)

see this (extreemly poor pic i made in 2 minutes) :eek: , i dont have any drawing software installed on this machine apart from the built in mspaint :rolleyes: (not that i can use that either)

hopefully you can see what i mean.

its important you use a good quality SHARP chisel as you want it to cut into the bolt a bit too.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Depending on the size of the bolt a good set of EZ outs would have it out in seconds. If you don't know what EZ outs are.... they are similar to drill bits but work on reverse in a pistol drill. You first drill a small hole into your worn allen screw head then insert your EZ out in reverse in your drill, it should bite into the hole you have drilled and wind out your knackered bolt. You should be able to pick up a cheap set on Ebay. It save trying to drill it out and messing up the original thread.

·
Registered
358 Posts
If you use the chisel method as above but do 2 slots opposite each other and hit alternately in an anticlockwise direction ;) You will shock from side to side and anticlockwise and downward!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks everyone will try all suggestions tomorrow morn in the daylight :)

and yellow_spider - I'm a graphics student and can't use mspaint for shit, nice one ;)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Darren Coulson said:
Depending on the size of the bolt a good set of EZ outs would have it out in seconds. If you don't know what EZ outs are.... they are similar to drill bits but work on reverse in a pistol drill. You first drill a small hole into your worn allen screw head then insert your EZ out in reverse in your drill, it should bite into the hole you have drilled and wind out your knackered bolt. You should be able to pick up a cheap set on Ebay. It save trying to drill it out and messing up the original thread.
One point to remember, you really are fooked if you snap an EZ out off on the bolt you are removing! They are as hard as nails.

(I broke one off trying to remove a snapped stud from a cylinder head. I then had to remove the head and use a Tungsten Carbide bit and a radial boring machine to drill through the EZ out).

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
Crisis? What crisis? said:
One point to remember, you really are fooked if you snap an EZ out off on the bolt you are removing! They are as hard as nails.
Agreed. And i have snapped a few too, i wont use them unless i have no other option available left. :)

Crisis? What crisis? said:
I then had to remove the head and use a Tungsten Carbide bit and a radial boring machine to drill through the EZ out).
:eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
342 Posts
yep the best way is to use ez outs some people call them bolt extracters.they leave the thread perfectly good aswell.
dave

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Darren Coulson said:
B&Q are doing a set at £1.99 at the moment with a case & correct size drill bits.

Also an oversize M or T bit in an impact screwdriver should work. Use a 2lb lump hammer if you can, as an engineer's hammer is almost the same weight as the driver and it won't really force it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
jmsheahan said:
Got a rounded allen key bolt thats recessed. Not sure how to remove as drilling the bugger didn't work and neither did cutting a groove. Any ideas?

cheers :)
Best I can offer is use lots of WD and the VERY CAREFUL use of an appropriately sized EZI OUT which is essence is a left-handed thread tapered tap. The hole you have already drilled may need enlarging slightly to suit the EZI OUT. You may also want to try a LITTLE heat from a hair dryer to help the WD penetrate better. Hope this helps and good luck.

Tommy's Dad

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
always a bit late

wish I'd read this thread before drilling out bolts the morning of brighton breeze - new to this forum so big thanks to everyone who helps out! and amazing what you get yourself from reading other peoples problems. so read them all, I guess, knowledge to store away lest you might need it someday! cheers

·
25 character limit is cra
6,619 Posts
Douse the area with Plusgas (better than WD40), bang the hell out of the bolt downwards to loosen the threads and then reapply the Plusgas.

Let it all dry out and then heat the head of the bolt up, good old cherry red if you can. If you've got a MIG welder and can weld a nut on top, do it. If you don't have a welder then just heat it up with a cheap blowtorch and let it cool fully.

Then have at it with the sharp chisel. I wouldn't go with EZ outs because it's so awful if they break.

You can repeat the steps above as often as necessary and it will come out. If you can weld a nut on top and it breaks off, reweld it back on and try again. You can be extra sneaky by drilling a very small hole into the thread and squirting the Plusgas down there too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts