Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna have to renew the front brakes on a '79 Bay very soon and the last time I tried to remove the calipers they were absolutely rusted on solid and no amount of persuasion with a T-bar and socket was going to remove the bolts (the bolt heads are starting to round off - they're seriously rusty)
Any ideas how I can remove the bolts? :confused:

The calipers are so badly rusted they could do with replacement so if they're completely destroyed during the removal process it's not a problem.

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alex1916v said:
heat heat heat get them fuckers hot!

that'll do the trick!
Cheers! :)

Is it best to heat the bolts themselves or the caliper bracket surrounds? (I'm thinking heat causing expansion ya see)

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
i got a good fitting socket on a tommy bar and then used trolley jack under the end of the tommy bar. Try to lift the bar against the weight of the bus ... you get 2 tons of force.
This is tricky and you have to be careful though, make sure you use loads of axle stands and that stay safe.

sounds like yours are more rusty than mine tho, ,,,, im rambling again arent i ... oh dear,
well ...... im in a rambly mood.
surfin vzi and thesamba.

cool/

good luck

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
deano_dinosaur said:
i got a good fitting socket on a tommy bar and then used trolley jack under the end of the tommy bar. Try to lift the bar against the weight of the bus ... you get 2 tons of force.
This is tricky and you have to be careful though, make sure you use loads of axle stands and that stay safe.

sounds like yours are more rusty than mine tho, ,,,, im rambling again arent i ... oh dear,
well ...... im in a rambly mood.
surfin vzi and thesamba.

cool/

good luck
This is kinda similar to what I originally tried - I had a really good fitting socket on a T-bar but with the wheels fitted and turned on opposite lock to allow me to get a big iron bar extension on the T-bar. All I could hear was the crunching of the bolt heads rounding off.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
AngelVenomous said:
This is kinda similar to what I originally tried - I had a really good fitting socket on a T-bar but with the wheels fitted and turned on opposite lock to allow me to get a big iron bar extension on the T-bar. All I could hear was the crunching of the bolt heads rounding off.
ahhh crap !
drill 'em out ? :(

·
Registered
242 Posts
They're hardened bolts, use Fospro/WD40 etc and heat the bolt head, then use large stilsons. That'll shift them no probs!

Regards, si

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hammer an old AF socket on the head and buy an impact wrench from Machinemart. Never failed on Beetle or motorbike yet. Get new bolts and use Copaslip lubricant spray on everthing you take apart.

Bob

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Blind Bob said:
Hammer an old AF socket on the head and buy an impact wrench from Machinemart. Never failed on Beetle or motorbike yet. Get new bolts and use Copaslip lubricant spray on everthing you take apart.

Bob
OOH, that sounds very intersting.

Cheers! :)

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Heat it cherry red, it'll be out in no time.

Strictly speaking, as you suggest, you should heat the surrounding area to expand it away from the bolt but experience shows that if you heat the bolt cherry red then get a socket on it quickly, the heat will help break the threads of the bolt away from the female threads of the caliper (this is the reason it won't come out - it isn't a clearance issue, the threads have simply tried to rust themselves together). Oxyacetalene is your friend :)

tom.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts