Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.I am looking to buy a bug that has the 76 graphic on the doors.These I presume are vinyl.Has anyone removed them from bodywork before?I dont want to damage the paint underneath.What about removing the glue/residue that will be left?
Cheers Jase

·
Registered
406 Posts
I did it on my old Vespa - I heated the vinyl with a hairdryer, lifted one corner and peeled, heating the glue as I pulled. I then Tcut the remaining crud off. Worked OK for me.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Second that, missus' hair dryer & a bit of patience, didnt leave any residue but T-Cut would shift it as would petrol on a cloth followed by a clean & wax... not the best on fresh or cracked paint though.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick reply.Thought the t,cut might take the glue off and will try the hairdryer on the stickers.Jase

·
Registered
549 Posts
i used a clean stanley knife blade to remove stickers off my bus, be careful though!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
That Sticky-stuff Remover ,from Lakeland or John Lewis, is great for removing sticky residue from any surface.......does the job but can beused on all typre of plastics and acetates without damage.

Hairdryer will get you started but you must keep the hot air blowing whilst you are peeling...the idea is to soften up the adhesive and keep a soft line as you peel the sticker off...especially if its a big decal.

·
Somewhere else...........
3,418 Posts
Hairdryer....peel them off.....clean the residue off with polish(Yes normal household polish!) or petrol.

:hangloose

·
Registered
6,228 Posts
When you're peeling them off, pull the sticker back over itself, flat to the painted surface, don't lift it at 90 degrees to the paint. This will help to prevent any loose paint being pulled off with the sticker

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
nail varnish remover, superb for removing sticky stuff

·
Banned
566 Posts
use auto glym tar and glue remover, i used this, it turns the glue to a sofy rubbery substance and prevents the glue removing the paint!

use a hair dryer at the same time heating the vynal and slowly pull the sticker off!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Plain old fashioned white spirit also removes the gluey gunk... worked for me when I had to remove a shit load of vinyl squares from the roof of my mini. Good call on the sticker removal advice!

·
Registered
2 Posts
removing graphics

Many years agao I used to work in an auto body repair shop, we used nothing fancy, we just boiled some water and pourd it over the stickers, this makes the stickers very soft and easy to remove, it also removes much of the glue . :rolleyes:

·
Registered
406 Posts
By the way, its not the orange '72 that was for sale on the forum is it? Nice looking bug is that :)

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oddnumber said:
By the way, its not the orange '72 that was for sale on the forum is it? Nice looking bug is that :)
It is the very same car.I'm going to view it on Saturday but being a local Yorkshire car ,everyone associates it with its current owner Darren,where as I would want to put my ownstamp on it.The most obvious change is the stickers to start with.Jase

·
Registered
143 Posts
As a variation on this theme, what's the best way to remove old stickers/transfers from windows without scratching them? :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts