Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone bought a remtec 1641 before, my 1600 sp motor is dead and im lookin to buy one.

has anyone got any advice tips etc etc?

taa
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
447 Posts
i had 2 of them..............the 1st one didn't even last more than 5 mins( it pissed out oil as soon as it was started...the 2nd lasted 1200 miles and then the thrust bearing on the crank went! :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,621 Posts
scottmac said:
i had 2 of them..............the 1st one didn't even last more than 5 mins( it pissed out oil as soon as it was started...the 2nd lasted 1200 miles and then the thrust bearing on the crank went! :mad:
I was gonna say id heard good things about remtec, but on the other hand ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
447 Posts
ickle AutoManics said:
I was gonna say id heard good things about remtec, but on the other hand ;)
Don't get me wrong.......Remtec/vw heritages customer service dealing with both these failures was absoloutely spot on...no worries getting replacements,after the 2nd 1641 going tits up i opted for just the standard 1600tp remtec and its done me proud over the last 3 years including over 8k miles on the continent.
To be honest with the twin dells and exhaust fitted to both 1641/1600 i couldnae feel any difference in the power of the 2 engines ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,621 Posts
scottmac said:
Don't get me wrong.......Remtec/vw heritages customer service dealing with both these failures was absoloutely spot on...no worries getting replacements,after the 2nd 1641 going tits up i opted for just the standard 1600tp remtec and its done me proud over the last 3 years including over 8k miles on the continent.
To be honest with the twin dells and exhaust fitted to both 1641/1600 i couldnae feel any difference in the power of the 2 engines ;)
Funny just had this conversation, i used to run a 1641 with twin 40 dels in my old bus then i replaced it with a 1600 with twin dels, couldnt notice any difference :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i think that has settled it!!

1600 sounds a better bet. which one though remtec or genuine vw mexico??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,474 Posts
scottmac said:
i had 2 of them..............the 1st one didn't even last more than 5 mins( it pissed out oil as soon as it was started...
happened to me with a 1600,got a refund tho.....for a 1600 i'd go for a mexican,£120.38p difference and its brand new.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
26,771 Posts
ickle AutoManics said:
Good point, but if i had the choice i think id have the new 1600 ;)
Especially if bought from GSf or Euro using club discount works out around £850 :)and no exchange either
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
26,771 Posts
ickle AutoManics said:
Not a bad price if you were to add all the bits up crank,heads etc :)
Basically silly not to go new certainly what im recomending to anyone up here in the market for a replacement engine other than a good used one or a top end rebuild on a known good base core.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,146 Posts
going in a bus....go for 1600

bug...... 1641 with deep sump


and by one with a new crankcase or expect leaks! had 2 with leaks and 1 without on my last bug.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top