Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im taking out and refitting the window in my sliding door tomorrow as the current seal has perished and water is leaking in.

I have never done this before, has anyone got any advice?

How to get it into its seal, produce a tight fit, procedures etc.

Cheers guys.

James

·
Registered
457 Posts
My advice would be ghet a professional in to do it - I once wasted about 8 hours of my life and ended up with sore hands (from pulling string !) and throughly pissed off.

They say you can do it with thick string/cord, having first put the rubber onto the glass but if you use detergent as a lubricant
it will rot the rubber - whatever ..

A took mine to a local windscreen 'shop' - not Autoglass but a proper local one and they did it on the spot for a tenner - best 10 quid I have ever spent, ever !

James

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
If your seal is the type with the insert. buy the special tool from just kampers about 8 notes its well worth it. I struggled for ages without it trying to get the strip in but with that tool, peice of piss. use plenty off vasaleen as well this wont rot your seals. Put your seal on window then fit it into door its a two man job, akward as fook.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
It's straight forward if you opt to do it yourself. Use a genuine VW rubber some of the repro ones will give you a bad time. Assuming you have no rust issues then make sure the glass is absolutely clean especially around the edges. Fit the rubber to the glass. Get some very strong cord (Local DIY shop sells it) and feed this into the groove which will fit over the lip of the door so that the ends pass each other. I use Waxoyl to the paint the lip of the door and the rubber, this becomes the lubricant. Get an assistant to offer up the glass from the outside.

Now comes the fun part. Get your assistant to force the glass and rubber into the apperture where the 2 cord ends cross, then pull one of them so it pulls the rubber over the lip. It helps if your assistant can keep the pressure on the glass as you progress along the rubber. I usually start in middle of the bottom run, work to one corner then go back pull the other cord until your reach the opposite corner and work your way round side by side until it's all in. Easy.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Hi,
I agree you can do it yourself as long as you have someone to hold the glass and press as required. I used strong strimmer nylon cord with a loop at either end to allow you to get a good grip and used wd40 as a lubricant. The most important thing is to make sure you are always pulling the cord round at the correct angle so that the seal lips over the window recess without digging into the seal or getting trapped. It's important to get the seal fitted well to the glass before offering it up to the window opening, just take it slowly and it will be fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts