Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have wanted a Beetle since I was 14 (I'm now 23) and my boyfriend has finally bought me one! :cool:

We found it at VW Action when I was recovering from a hangover, and even though I hate red cars I was drawn to it for some reason.

Gareth had a look round it and said that it was a good buy. The man was asking £1600 for it, and we settled on £1200 and Gareth's 'shatlook' polo which I hated anyway! :D

We collected it on 5 September and it made the trip home from Leicester with no problems.

Gareth fitted a cd player and made a parcel shelf for my speakers the next day, and checked it over. There is no rust anywhere! No welding either, and no filler at all. :D

I found out that the car used to be owned by Howard Cheese (chairman of the MexiBug club) and found out that after buying it new, he stripped it down and waxoyled everywhere, and greased as many bolts as he could. He also fitted a few accessories which have now been removed. (Kamei spoilers, front parcel shelf and some kind of scoop over the front bonnet vent). All this attention has paid off as apart from minor wear and tear, the car is as good as new!

I bought a few bits for it at Vanfest - service parts, eyelids, and new window winders, which were fitted straight away. We put a pair of wind/rain deflectors on which were lying around, destined for Gareth's car!

:cool:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got used to driving it and used it to go to work and back for a few weeks, before Gareth announced he had sold the engine in it! :eek:

It was a perfectly good 1200 engine, but as we have too many engines lying around he decided to rebuild a 1300 engine (out of his '68 bug) and put it in, as he didn't want to sell the engine out of his in case he ever wanted to turn it back into a 'matching numbers' car - his beetle is immaculate with full history and under 80,000 miles from new.

I got £250 for the engine, which means the car now stands me at £1200 (we only paid £250 for the polo).

The main problem is that Gareth hasn't finished and fitted the new engine, so I can't use it - hopefully this thread will make him finish it faster. :rolleyes:

I don't mind too much as he has been buying all sorts of stuff for it, I'll get him to post later on as that's his department! :D

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Pics added :)

I've been busy this morning prepping and priming the engine bay - I removed the firewall a few weeks ago as it was looking tatty, and it looked mint underneath, so after stripping all the glue (horrible job) and prepping it, I primed it first thing, and just about to go and give it the first coat of body colour. Seems a bit pointless as I may replace the firewall anyway! :rolleyes: :D

We've also bought clear front indicator lenses, beam adjusters, new slave cylinders, brake shoes, flexis, all new cables, fuel hose, engine rebuild parts, kick panels to mount the front speakers in, tobstone lights and loads more silly little bits like seals, etc.

I want it to be reliable, safe and fun for her, so nothing radical! Only dropping the front about 3 inches.

I am replacing the wings with Day Moulding wings as the fronts are poor quality pattern wings, and we're putting tombstone lights on the back as I/we/(everyone?) hate elephant foot lights. Does this make it a wrongun? :lol:

I'm also in the middle of stripping, cleaning, priming and painting the tinwear - I can see why so many people don't bother with it, I'm not enjoying it!

Back to work ;)

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Looks like you've been very lucky to get such a well looked after Bug. Nothing wrong with red either.

Don't think you'll be missing the 1200 engine. Not after enjoying a fresh 1300 motor. :)

Got to agree with getting shot of the elephants foot rear lights. Tombstones will make it look much better (never thought I'd ever be saying that about tombstone lights), or what about using 1200 style lights?

:hanglooose

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Mr_Wobble said:
Looks like you've been very lucky to get such a well looked after Bug. Nothing wrong with red either.

Don't think you'll be missing the 1200 engine. Not after enjoying a fresh 1300 motor. :)

Got to agree with getting shot of the elephants foot rear lights. Tombstones will make it look much better (never thought I'd ever be saying that about tombstone lights), or what about using 1200 style lights?

:hanglooose
Jen likes the look of mine which is why it's having tombstones, and Rob Beckett on here donated a pair for her :)

The 1300 had only done 70000 miles with FSH anyway, so it should be ideal. My bug was great to drive - I used it daily for a few months.

:)

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Topbloke said:
Looking good, and I like the colour ;)

1300? Get a 2276 in the back ;)
I think she likes it now as well - I don't remember seeing many red beetles, so it's nice to be a bit different.

Finished the painting of the engine bay, I'm really pleased with the results.

I also dug out the July 1995 issue of Volksworld and rebuilt the (original) distributor, with all new parts. Should help running / reliability, and saves running a 009 on a stock engine :rolleyes:.

Jen likes it because it looks nicer! :D

Rubbed down the primer and gave the fan shroud 3 coats of satin black. Struggling to get much more done as I'm still feeling really shitty :(

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
DESIGN7O said:
Jen likes it because it looks nicer! :D
Well that's all that matters isn't it?! :)

Thank you Mr Gareth for making my car all pretty. :hug:

I'd say I'd make it up to you later but maybe I should actually go on strike until I've got an engine and can use the car! :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DESIGN7O said:
Well that's all that matters isn't it?! :)

Thank you Mr Gareth for making my car all pretty. :hug:

I'd say I'd make it up to you later but maybe I should actually go on strike until I've got an engine and can use the car! :D
whoops, that was me! :eek:

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Yay!!! Hey Jen!!! :hug:

Bug's looking very cool! and my god, you two are doing SO much to it already! wish me and Matt had the funds to do that to his bug! :eek:

When will it be all lowered and engine'd and going then? :D

Matty xx :hug:

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
mdsplitvw said:
Yay!!! Hey Jen!!! :hug:

Bug's looking very cool! and my god, you two are doing SO much to it already! wish me and Matt had the funds to do that to his bug! :eek:

When will it be all lowered and engine'd and going then? :D

Matty xx :hug:
We'd hoped for within the next couple of weeks but now Gareth's ill (I'm looking after him by baking etc!) so I'm making him put car work on hold until he's feeling a bit better :D

Jen :)

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
I had a good look at this car at Action and it was a great buy at £1600 so at £1200 it was absolute bargain, well done, lovely car :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ross said:
I had a good look at this car at Action and it was a great buy at £1600 so at £1200 it was absolute bargain, well done, lovely car :)
Thank you :)

It will be even better when it has an engine and is lowered! :D

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Small update:

All tinwear is primed and painted. All the other ancillaries have been cleaned / rebuilt as necessary.

Longblock is almost finished - will be finished tomorrow morning, then just a case of assembling everything and putting it in! Fingers crossed everything will be fine, first proper engine work in 8 years!

I'm still toying with the idea of fitting a set of 5.5 and 4.5 stock steels I have, along with a pair of firestone 195/65s and a pair of firestone 145s (all new) that are also 'lying around'!

I hate degreasing and stripping rust off tinwear! Hopefully it will all be worth it and Jen will like it.

:)

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Well, i have been busy, with a little help from Alain and Howard (pickup66 on here) - cheers guys! :cool:

The rebuilt engine is installed, complete with all the tinwear stripped and painted, a new 180mm clutch, stainless steel stock exhaust, rebuilt dizzy, new carb, rebuilt dynamo, bosch blue coil, new leads, plugs, points, plugs, and a old Sparkrite electronic ignition module that I had lying around. All the fuel lines were replaced as well, just to be safe.

Started easily and runs like a dream, well worth all the hassle / effort involved in rebuilding it! Just been out for the first drive in it, and it felt like a new car.

Also done:

Fitted period number plates, with the black borders and riveted digits.
Made and upholstered a parcel shelf for the 6 x 9's
Speaker pods in the front (all lined with dynomat)
Clear hella lenses in the front bumpers
GB badge on the rear
Fitted a few interior dress up parts - billet gear knob, lock pulls, scat quarterlight window locks.

Spent the rest of the time getting it ready for its MOT tomorrow at 2pm, fingers crossed!

:D

Pics to follow.

All left to do now is the suspension, an adjustable beam will be fitted soon, and a 1 spline drop on the rear. Got a pair of koni reds for the rear and short oil shocks for the front.

Should be a lovely first Beetle for Jen. :cool:

1 - 20 of 181 Posts