Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heard on the radio today, "if the north pole's ice melts the sea levels wont rise, its just a myth. if you fill a glass with water and ice right to the top, when the ice melts the level is lower. this is because ice takes up more space than water"

??????

·
Registered
9,063 Posts
I started typing up some explanations but I got bored so I'm just going to write "Do you think the worlds science community wouldn't have noticed?" Most of the ice isn't in the sea, though - it's actually on ground so that's the major flaw.

Not a dig at you :)

·
Registered
20,837 Posts
Oh, I'm very tired, am gonna look in on this one in the morning....my brain is hurting :(

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
most of an iceberg sits under the water and has a larger volume due to air particles being trapped in between.

When the ice melts the air bubbles are free so there is less volume, therefore the water levels should in theory not go up

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I started typing up some explanations but I got bored so I'm just going to write "Do you think the worlds science community wouldn't have noticed?" Most of the ice isn't in the sea, though - it's actually on ground so that's the major flaw.

Not a dig at you :)
north pole is all ice... oh actually im bored of it too!

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Actually - is it true with the glass anyway. Ice floats and my (elimentary) science tells me that it'll equal out. In other words when the ice melts there'll be NO difference, either way.
what about the volume of the air particles trapped in the cube itself, which should make the cube somewhat larger, only a tiney bit, not noticeable by human eye.

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
26,326 Posts
Oh, I'm very tired, am gonna look in on this one in the morning....my brain is hurting :(
No no no no you cant leave us hanging like that:lol:
This could be a very important imput to the discussion.

WAKE UP:lol:

·
Registered
20,837 Posts
you cant say that as though your going to add exciting input, now we all have to go to bed not knowing:p:D
Well I might as well tell you, it won't be very exciting cos I is fick :lol: sleep well my friend!!

·
Registered
20,837 Posts
No no no no you cant leave us hanging like that:lol:
This could be a very important imput to the discussion.

WAKE UP:lol:
I am awake, just, but only when my chin lads on the keyboard then it wakes me again :eek:

·
Registered
9,063 Posts
north pole is all ice
Yeah, but it's where the ice is that matters. If it's already floating in the sea then it'll make no odds but when ice which is on land starts melting (and then flowing into the sea) then we start to see trouble.

Of course, how much trouble and if it's anything to do with us is a whole nother topic. Just another though, thinking back to my school days, doesn't salt make a difference in all this too? I'm totally out of my knowledge now so I don't even know what's salt water and what's not.

·
Registered
20,837 Posts
Right, you've asked for it!!! what if the ice caps were made of Coke Cola, what effect would that have on the earth if they melted :incheek:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts