Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I sound like a hippie, apologies. But countless times I've been held up on motorways by accidents, either on my carriageway or by rubber-necking going the other way. So I took a conscious decision to look at hold ups in a different way. If I'm held up by half an hour by an accident, I think of the people and their families involved in the crash. No matter what you're late for - this way of thinking works every time. You're late meeting a mate - whilst elsewhere somewhere someone's mum/girlfriend/daughter is wondering why daddy/husband etc isn't home until they get the knock on the door from the police. Keep this mantra with you, you'll never feel the need for road rage ever again! Perhaps I am a hippie...

·
Registered
470 Posts
i lernt to think like this when i was working in london and driving 30 miles home each nite,

makes you think, at the end of the day you can 80 mph in your Jap crap speed machine, and get there in an hour, or you can do 60 mph in an air cooled dub with the sounds on and the window down and get there in an hour and 20 mins, the latter is better imo.

·
Registered
12,285 Posts
dellow said:
makes you think, at the end of the day you can 80 mph in your Jap crap speed machine, and get there in an hour, or you can do 60 mph in an air cooled dub with the sounds on and the window down and get there in an hour and 20 mins, the latter is better imo.
I used to do a lot of driving for work - long trips too, like Manchester to London.

I found that driving all that way doing 80+ wherever possible meant I got there 10 minutes faster and I used twice as much fuel as if I'd driven a constant 60-65mph.

Driving quickly makes no difference to journey times in the real world, because there's always someone in front of you anyway, or there are traffic lights and so on.

Maybe I'm a hippie too? :)

·
Registered
26,995 Posts
veedweeb said:
I used to do a lot of driving for work - long trips too, like Manchester to London.

I found that driving all that way doing 80+ wherever possible meant I got there 10 minutes faster and I used twice as much fuel as if I'd driven a constant 60-65mph.

Driving quickly makes no difference to journey times in the real world, because there's always someone in front of you anyway, or there are traffic lights and so on.

Maybe I'm a hippie too? :)
this is my reason for driving at 60>70 generally you dont get there any quicker(within reason) but you use more fuel,more wear/strain on your car and you feel more stressed having to concentrate.....my biggest motorway grip is the convoy of HGVs over taking each other for 5 miles at a time......the rest of them nose to tail.....effectively limiting the use to the outside lane only.....i use the M6 for a junction in the morning and if you can pull onto it you have to stay in the slow lane because if you move to the outside lane you will never get back in...... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
78,060 Posts
having always lived within London or close to it I've never been stressed sitting in traffic... it's the price you pay for living in the heart of the known universe :lol:

sitting in traffic with my kids in the car is a different matter... but it's them that stresses me... not the traffic jams

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
BUDGET BUS said:
my biggest motorway grip is the convoy of HGVs over taking each other for 5 miles at a time......the rest of them nose to tail.....effectively limiting the use to the outside lane only.....:rolleyes:
oh no, that never happens, its all the fault of the car drivers... see other road rage thread :lol:

Over the last few years Ive done a bit of driving in Germany, and their system is much better.

On a weekend, no HGVs. Also, I believe the same applies in other european countries...

Many stretches of uphill 3 lane roads have a ban on HGVs in the middle lane. result!

Having said that, they also have a far better rail freight transport system too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts