Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Done a few fills of the tank since putting my weber ict's on my stock-ish 1600tp bay (bug exhaust) and I'm getting about 24mpg on long runs, not exceeeding 60mph -pretty much the same as the solex 34pict3 they replaced.

Bus is running beautifully with new carbs - starts well, idles well, pulls well etc. Given that many peeps get better mpg than me on similar setup is it worth me paying for a rolling road tune-up session? The way I see it if its running as well as it does is there much more that can be done by an expert that may help the MPG up a bit?

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
52,672 Posts
Firstly I would loose the bug exhaust and fit a quality 4 into 1 exhaust system. You won't get the full benefit of dual carbs on a stock exhaust it is too restrictive.

·
Beardy, all year round.
4,287 Posts
Yep, and you'll notice the extra bit of pull as well.

Rolling roads are always a good idea for any twin carb conversion as the carb that you get from the box is set up to work in a general fashion. Then you tweak them to each individual engine's requirement.

Well worth the money imo.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers for that nighttrain - someone on here mentioned a good rolling road place in colchester a while back - any ideas anyone? Tried the forum search function but it doesn't seem to work with my browser? Grr!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
im going to a place in colchester this week called 't & m' to have my 76 set up.
recomended by a couple of peeps!
but ive had to wait a month, so they must be busy, and if theyre busy im guessing theyre good!

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cheers for that Mr Mullet - will look 'em up.

·
Registered
806 Posts
at the end of the day a rolling road has got to be the way to go to get jets etc etc sorted.... then with the sheets.. all that can change are a few little things, but you will have accurate values to use to reset yourself should you tear down and rebuild.

after all there are hundreds of guys who set cars up witha peice of rubber tube and listening to the carb intake and twiddling a few screws .. I saw at least 20 in Monaco on sunday, and boy ohhh boy did they make them cars go...

As you have ICTs.. drop me a mail.. I have loads of info on these....
it may be usefull to find out in advance if they have any jets available..... also some places charge for each jet they fit even if they remove it to fit another, some places have a set of trial and test jets and then once they have determined the optimum put you a new set in. If they know their stuff and you tell them the Spec they would be able to make a suggested start point.

I can tell you the std jet settings and what various sizes are available...

If people who have various engine setups want to email me with their specs and jet settings I don't mind compiling a table or all this data, it is something i have already started to do, and who knows........ one day someone may set up a pool of ICT jets so peoeple can try and see...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts