Volkszone Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Good luck with this. I am on a similar path, albeit taking me a while to get it progressing and it will be a milder version, warm 1600 running baby Dells. Haven't ordered the body yet, need to add some more pennies to the piggy bank. Nice seats, I am going with some Mk1 MX-5 seats, should be going in to be trimmed in the next few weeks with some leather I salvaged from our old sofas - hoping for a nice worn look. Collecting as you go is a good idea and grabbing bits as and when they appear (and cash allows) has been recommended by other builders, even if you are not fitting those parts for a while. Things like door window frames can be spendy so grab the bargains when you can.

Looking forward to following your progress. All the best!

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
Yeah so it's a coupe. It'll be outlaw style. I'm thinking along the lines of this but colour TBC. Teardrop lights though and bumpers may or may not go on.

I've got a 1915cc to go in. I'm still building this at the moment. Twin 40 Dells. Ran Webers for years and endlessly had to arse about with them. Got a pair of 36 dells on my bug and they are the simplest to set up and most reliable carbs I've ever used. These 40s I got are like new! Still re-working the shroud a bit to get a better seal on the plugs and a few bits.

Vintage speed exhaust same as my bug arrived recently.

Was looking at their sebring ones but decided I prefer the twin tips still.

Gearbox I'm not sure. Gary at the speedster clinic prices one in which is a recon box that I can spec with his mate who builds them. I've got a Rancho in my bug so want something similar as that is a lovely piece of kit.

Got these on ebay. Always liked the look of them and dressed properly will look awesome I reckon. Lose the pleather and get some real stuff on there.

Something along these lines maybe:

Anyway more soon as I have an update.
cows are not cheap when it comes to upholstery. you'd easily be looking at £800 in leather alone for those 2 seats. i've recently used a vinyl that looks and smells like leather! weird i know, but once it had been opened for a few days and the plastic smell had gone, it did actually smell like cow!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm nearly at the end of my 356 Pre A Speedster Clinic Coupe build. Any build questions you have just let me know. They look so great these cars, but are very small. I went with MX5 seats as couldn't get 911 seats to fit mine...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
452 Posts
I'm nearly at the end of my 356 Pre A Speedster Clinic Coupe build. Any build questions you have just let me know. They look so great these cars, but are very small. I went with MX5 seats as couldn't get 911 seats to fit mine...

That looks awesome! Would be great to see some build pics posted up ;)

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Good luck with this. I am on a similar path, albeit taking me a while to get it progressing and it will be a milder version, warm 1600 running baby Dells. Haven't ordered the body yet, need to add some more pennies to the piggy bank. Nice seats, I am going with some Mk1 MX-5 seats, should be going in to be trimmed in the next few weeks with some leather I salvaged from our old sofas - hoping for a nice worn look. Collecting as you go is a good idea and grabbing bits as and when they appear (and cash allows) has been recommended by other builders, even if you are not fitting those parts for a while. Things like door window frames can be spendy so grab the bargains when you can.

Looking forward to following your progress. All the best!
Nice one and good luck with yours. Bung us a link as and when you get a build thread up.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
cows are not cheap when it comes to upholstery. you'd easily be looking at £800 in leather alone for those 2 seats. i've recently used a vinyl that looks and smells like leather! weird i know, but once it had been opened for a few days and the plastic smell had gone, it did actually smell like cow!
No they're not. But they are tasty and their skin is a delight to park yo ass on :)

I could live with £800. But I'd also need the rest like the rears, door cards, dash etc. Will have a chat at some point about it and the pleather does sound interesting.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Yep Type 4 but running Jenvey throttle bodies with Emerald ECU. Not the standard VW fuel injection.

Very nice. I was looking at EFI but couldn't find enough info on it. I'll stick with carbs to start but would like to go that route at some point.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Very nice. I was looking at EFI but couldn't find enough info on it. I'll stick with carbs to start but would like to go that route at some point.
There's a great Facebook group dedicated to VW aircooled EFI with everything from std mexibug set ups to screaming drag cars, and tons of experts to help out too. You should really join just to see what's out there as it's not that complicated..

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
There's a great Facebook group dedicated to VW aircooled EFI with everything from std mexibug set ups to screaming drag cars, and tons of experts to help out too. You should really join just to see what's out there as it's not that complicated..

Thanks but sadly I am one of the 5 people on earth not on facebook :(

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Some new parts arrived today.

New shoes for the rear end. Think the wheels have shipped too.

And one of these

Lovely bit of kit. Can't beat a nice bit of billet ally!

Stripped the old bearings out of the trailing arms, and new bushes in. Need to fit all the new bearings and seals then wrap it up safe for now.

Air ride kit is on its way apparently and a new 4" narrowed beam from Ave Resto.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Some new parts arrived today.

New shoes for the rear end. Think the wheels have shipped too.

And one of these

Lovely bit of kit. Can't beat a nice bit of billet ally!

Stripped the old bearings out of the trailing arms, and new bushes in. Need to fit all the new bearings and seals then wrap it up safe for now.

Air ride kit is on its way apparently and a new 4" narrowed beam from Ave Resto.
Have you checked the width of the front with 4 inch narrowed beam with the wheel offset you are using as many that have gone that narrow have ended up adding spacers as the wheels will be well tucked under. Mine is std width.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Have you checked the width of the front with 4 inch narrowed beam with the wheel offset you are using as many that have gone that narrow have ended up adding spacers as the wheels will be well tucked under. Mine is std width.

No I'm basing it on my bug that runs a 4" narrowed. I do get a slight rub on full lock but only when I'm parking etc. not while driving. I've seen some that are so tucked they must be at least 4" but if I do run into trouble I can always space them.

Is that a red9design beam you're using?

21 - 40 of 67 Posts