Volkszone Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
No I'm basing it on my bug that runs a 4" narrowed. I do get a slight rub on full lock but only when I'm parking etc. not while driving. I've seen some that are so tucked they must be at least 4" but if I do run into trouble I can always space them.

Is that a red9design beam you're using?
Yes I've got Red9 which is standard width. I have ET30 Porsch space savers and the wheels sit nicely. The guy that has the 4 inch narrow has ended up putting 1 inch spacers either side as couldn't turn corners. There is a guy that has made it work with 4 inch narrowed beam but he has zero offset wheels.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Good luck with this. I am on a similar path, albeit taking me a while to get it progressing and it will be a milder version, warm 1600 running baby Dells. Haven't ordered the body yet, need to add some more pennies to the piggy bank. Nice seats, I am going with some Mk1 MX-5 seats, should be going in to be trimmed in the next few weeks with some leather I salvaged from our old sofas - hoping for a nice worn look. Collecting as you go is a good idea and grabbing bits as and when they appear (and cash allows) has been recommended by other builders, even if you are not fitting those parts for a while. Things like door window frames can be spendy so grab the bargains when you can.

Looking forward to following your progress. All the best!
Love your plan to re-use sofa leather. Chuck us some pics when you get them back I'd love to see that.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I blame you for me ordering this last week. Something I didn't need to buy but have wanted for a long time. Your post pushed me over the edge. :)

Only problem now is that my beetle left on a transporter for the engine builder just before this turned up, so I have no car to fit this too now. haha

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Well this site is all very new and swank eh?!! No pics just yet but the air ride kit arrived. Things of beauty thanks to Limebug. I will take some pics and post soon. Should have wheels in a few weeks. Very slow service from 911 design. The beam arrived from Eva resto too. Really nice. Highly recommend their kit and the chaps are so helpful.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Got some bits powder coated. Got mexico recon front trailing arms, dropped spindles, front and rear rotors of an old 911 but only using rears now so will sell the fronts. Love how they come out with powder coating. It all looks brand new! Brembo calipers off a 911 for the rears.

New bearing kit for the IRA arms and bushes.

Air tank mount for the limebug kit.

Guy down the road does an amazing job of this. Bloody quick too! He did this in a day.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Well no news is no news :)

Gary still finalising the body. So much for 12 weeks to build. Last time we spoke he had covid, now I have covid along with my pregnant other half! Sucks but it's just a bad flu so we'll live. But at this stage I doubt much is happening this side of cancelled Christmas/Winter lockdown so fingers crossed I start getting some traction early 22.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Quick update. Gary from the clinic has been in touch to say it'll be ready in about 2 weeks. So I need to organise collection and get it home. Build is going to be a challenge with it being winter and I've taken on some properties to renovate and I'm going to be a dad in May too! So please no breath holding while this progresses :)

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Quick update. Gary from the clinic has been in touch to say it'll be ready in about 2 weeks. So I need to organise collection and get it home. Build is going to be a challenge with it being winter and I've taken on some properties to renovate and I'm going to be a dad in May too! So please no breath holding while this progresses :)
Congratulations mate, that's brilliant news.

My advice to you is to get this project finished before May!!!!!! :)

41 - 60 of 67 Posts