Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
12,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all can I check my RPM on a multimeter??

I'm sure you can but need to know how please??

Have a good pro multi meter....need to know what settings to have the meter on also please could you explain where I need to put the wires on the coil/other and what wires please.

need to set a 009 @ 28 BTDC @ 3500 RPM as got a 34 pic carb on.

I am right in thinking the 009 should be set at this.. yes??

Thanks

·
12,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, not unless you've got a stupidly expensive one with huge amounts of additional features :)
that would be the one I have then;)

so how??

·
Registered
20,316 Posts
If your multimeter has such a function, it'd be in the manual, since it's not a standard feature there's no way for me to advise!

·
Registered
917 Posts
Sorry cant help my multi meter has an inductive pick up lead that i just clip over No1 plug lead (the same as a timing light)
Cant you use it the same way as you test the dwell angle, go across the coil?

·
12,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If your multimeter has such a function, it'd be in the manual, since it's not a standard feature there's no way for me to advise!
don't have manual..thats why askin;)

Take it you just don't know:rolleyes:

·
12,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Banned
18,444 Posts
Gunson used to do a multi meter with tack and dwell on it ..and full mltimeater functions ..they were about a tenner not long back ..but i think they were selling them off

·
Registered
20,316 Posts
Have you tried

a) checking the manufacturers site for a manual
b) not being cheeky to someone who's trying to help.

·
Premium Member
8,808 Posts
Only an 'automotive' multimeter would have the RPM function, even the very expensive Mains testers don't have it.
BTW, set a 009 at 30 degrees BTDC, at 3500 RPM

·
Banned
18,444 Posts
Thinking about it ..it your multimeater dont have the tac sighn on it and no way of switching from 2 3 4 6 12 cylinders ..it would only be able to give you voltage at the coil and thats it

·
12,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Only an 'automotive' multimeter would have the RPM function, even the very expensive Mains testers don't have it.
Cheers its a mains one...

was told 009 at 28-32 BTDC at 3500 RPM and 30 was at 2800 RPM??

Its in a camper so want to get up hills well;)

Advice good thanks;)

·
Premium Member
8,808 Posts

was told 009 at 28-32 BTDC at 3500 RPM and 30 was at 2800 RPM??

Its in a camper so want to get up hills well;)

Advice good thanks;)
Yeah, it's max 32 degrees, at "Full Advance", but Full Advance occurs at different revs depending on which day of the week each 009 was thrown together in the factory. At 3500 RPM, even the Rejects should have achieved Full Advance, unless they have rusted up inside. :lol:
On a camper, it's safer not to exceed 30 degrees, to protect the engine.

·
12,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, it's max 32 degrees, at "Full Advance", but Full Advance occurs at different revs depending on which day of the week each 009 was thrown together in the factory. At 3500 RPM, even the Rejects should have achieved Full Advance, unless they have rusted up inside. :lol:
ok matey cheers will set at 30 at 3500 rpm unless anyone else says other.

If I had an advance timing light with rpm function on I would be good to go..thought I could do easy on a multi meter.

·
Registered
20,316 Posts
Actually you can get "adapters" for multimeter's with frequency counters, friend of mine used to have one years ago though if i remember rightly the multimeter cost the earth!

·
12,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thinking about it ..it your multimeater dont have the tac sighn on it and no way of switching from 2 3 4 6 12 cylinders ..it would only be able to give you voltage at the coil and thats it
cheers Jay.. I afraid i've not got a black belt in sparks so went right over me head:D

·
Banned
18,444 Posts
You could always get someone to increse the engine revs whilst you strobe the pully when it stops advansing then set the timing

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
You could always get someone to increse the engine revs whilst you strobe the pully when it stops advansing then set the timing
That would have been my suggestion too, stick the timing light on it and rev the engine till it stops advancing, you then know it's all in and set the timing accorfingly.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts