Volkszone Forum banner

3721 - 3740 of 3774 Posts

·
VZ Staff
24,131 Posts
Brilliant! Keep it up. According to my C25K 'assistant' (Laura, off the app
) I'm officially a 'Runner' now having done my first 25 minute run at the weekend.

I'm not a runner, and I'm still finding it hard going but I never thought I'd do a 25 minute straight run.
Great stuff! It's a great achievement getting that 25min run under the belt. I can remember getting over that hurdle myself a few years back...and now I've got it ahead of me again!

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
What a difference the weather makes. I've now completed 4 x 25 min runs, and yesterday was my first 28 minute one (C25K, Week 8, Run 1).
Went out late afternoon while the sun was still out, and OMG it seemed so much more enjoyable.
I'm actually looking forward to the next one tomorrow. Yesterday's 28 minute one was the first run I've got to the end of and felt I could have pushed on for another few minutes. 2 more 28 min runs this week, 3 x 30 mins next week, then looking at pushing for a sub 35min 5k the week after next.

No one told me this was addictive....:D

So, once you've got to this point, do you aim to bring your 5k times down or aim to maintain the same pace and increase the duration/distance? (I'm running for weight loss and general fitness).

·
Registered
441 Posts
So, once you've got to this point, do you aim to bring your 5k times down or aim to maintain the same pace and increase the duration/distance? (I'm running for weight loss and general fitness).
I haven't been running for a few weeks (I may have fallen off my skateboard and broken my wrist... :lol:) but I've been keeping at 5k and trying to get quicker - I just can't get less than 28 and half mins though however hard I push - mainly because I don't have the time to go on longer runs and also I don't want to get stuck halfway round!!

I have done one 9k run not soon after I finished C25K late last summer and it wasn't too bad in all honesty, at least until the next day when I could hardly move.

Just see what works best for you, I reckon as long as you're doing something it has to help right?

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,656 Posts
I think only you can decide this. I was never bothered by my speed (Sol will testify to this :D), always more interested in how far I could go.

For me personally, I only settle down and start to enjoy running at 3-4 miles so if I only ran short distances it would never be enjoyable for me. Each to their own though :)

Meanwhile at Chateau Smull, the realisation that the London Marathon might actually go ahead has left me with a sinking feeling and an urgent need to stop eating pies and get out running again.
:D

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
Meanwhile at Chateau Smull, the realisation that the London Marathon might actually go ahead has left me with a sinking feeling and an urgent need to stop eating pies and get out running again.
:D
I'm pretty local to you... I'm happy to dispose of the pies if you want to send them this way. No need to thank me, just happy to help :D

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,656 Posts
I'm pretty local to you... I'm happy to dispose of the pies if you want to send them this way. No need to thank me, just happy to help :D
:lol:

Well done on your progress and sticking with it by the way. Takes guts to get out there in the early days :)

·
Premium Member
15,573 Posts
I haven't been running for a few weeks (I may have fallen off my skateboard and broken my wrist... :lol:) but I've been keeping at 5k and trying to get quicker - I just can't get less than 28 and half mins though however hard I push - mainly because I don't have the time to go on longer runs and also I don't want to get stuck halfway round!!

I have done one 9k run not soon after I finished C25K late last summer and it wasn't too bad in all honesty, at least until the next day when I could hardly move.

Just see what works best for you, I reckon as long as you're doing something it has to help right?
Here's hoping for a swift recovery.

I think only you can decide this. I was never bothered by my speed (Sol will testify to this :D), always more interested in how far I could go.

As Smull will testify too, I rarely bother with my speed either. That's why we can happily run together and have a laugh along the way.

I may be starting a new job nearer to you. Longer runs, lighter evenings.........;)

I'm pretty local to you... I'm happy to dispose of the pies if you want to send them this way. No need to thank me, just happy to help
Or you could meet up for a run, then eat the pies together.

Takes guts to get out there in the early days
This. The hardest step is the one out of the door. :)

What a difference the weather makes. I've now completed 4 x 25 min runs, and yesterday was my first 28 minute one (C25K, Week 8, Run 1).
Went out late afternoon while the sun was still out, and OMG it seemed so much more enjoyable.
I'm actually looking forward to the next one tomorrow. Yesterday's 28 minute one was the first run I've got to the end of and felt I could have pushed on for another few minutes. 2 more 28 min runs this week, 3 x 30 mins next week, then looking at pushing for a sub 35min 5k the week after next.

No one told me this was addictive....:D

Do what you enjoy. ;)

I believe running at a comfortable pace (you should be able to chat) for longer is better for weight loss.

While the running thread is here. Did anyone else see Sam's (formerly of this manor) run at the weekend? 250km! :eek::eek::eek:

I'm off out later to do some hill sprints with my daughter. No rest for the wicked.:D

·
Premium Member
15,573 Posts
Another thought on this.

Whilst you're new to running, over the next few months you'll naturally lose weight, your times will get faster and running further will all happen as part of the new 'lifestyle'.

Let's say 5k takes you 35 minutes.

In a few weeks/months it'll take 30 minutes (faster)....

but you're comfortable running 35 minutes, so you do (longer)....

All the exercise will bring weight loss (except to me:mad: If I drop below 11'4", I only have to look at food and my weight goes up:mad:)

Enjoy the runs and the better weather that the next six months will bring.:) Once you've finished the C25K, I'd suggest two 5k's a week, plus a longer one (anything over 5k). Don't overdo it*, listen to your body, don't be afraid to rest.

*Unless you're a competitive mentalist**.

**In which case drop me a line, throw your dirty trainers on and meet me at a green space. - I know a route, it's not hilly.:D:D

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
Cheers all, your support and encouragement (and a little bit of accountability on here) has really helped.
@ 'Magic Number' sorry dude, the bit about the skateboard incident didn't really register with me.... get well soon!

I'm going to keep on with the 5k target for now, with the hope that it will naturally drop to 30min for the 5 (that's the mental target in my mind) over a few weeks... once I've done that, then I'll probably add another km or two on and see how I go with distance. After a chat with my running partner (SWMBO), I think we can realistically aim for 45-60min 3 times a week, so as long as we keep getting out, lets see how close to 60 mins constant running I can get by the end of the summer. If I can run that duration, none-stop, I'll be chuffed.

Apparently, the average 10k time for a 47y.o. male is in the region of 56 minutes (thanks google). So 10k at 60 mins seems like a decent target...

Keep it up everyone, and thanks :D

·
Registered
441 Posts
Cheers all, your support and encouragement (and a little bit of accountability on here) has really helped.
@ 'Magic Number' sorry dude, the bit about the skateboard incident didn't really register with me.... get well soon!

I'm going to keep on with the 5k target for now, with the hope that it will naturally drop to 30min for the 5 (that's the mental target in my mind) over a few weeks... once I've done that, then I'll probably add another km or two on and see how I go with distance. After a chat with my running partner (SWMBO), I think we can realistically aim for 45-60min 3 times a week, so as long as we keep getting out, lets see how close to 60 mins constant running I can get by the end of the summer. If I can run that duration, none-stop, I'll be chuffed.

Apparently, the average 10k time for a 47y.o. male is in the region of 56 minutes (thanks google). So 10k at 60 mins seems like a decent target...

No worries, thanks, it's feeling better already - I've since ordered some pads :lol:

Keep up the good work, those targets seem realistic to me - one thing I will suggest, if you're not doing it already, is to find different routes now you're going to run regularly - I got so bored of running laps around my local park that it discouraged me abit - once I tried a couple of different routes around the local streets I got back in to it

·
Premium Member
15,573 Posts

Sounds like a plan. :)

Once you've got comfortable with 5k, play around with the basics of the C25K plan, to increase your distance.

2x 20 minute runs with a 5 minute walk inbetween.
3x 15 minute runs with a 4 minute walk inbetween.
Etc.

Different routes are good. I make a point of running down an unknown path, just to see where it goes. Ask Smull. We once ran several hundred metres down a mud track, that turned out to be a dead end, at a fishing peg by a lake. We just turned around and ran back. All good fun.*

*Smull's recollection make vary slightly. :D

·
Premium Member
15,573 Posts
How's it going folks?

I'm gradually increasing the distance and frequency of my runs and not worrying about the speed, I'm hoping that will come back as the weight comes off. I'm off out shortly for a trail run.

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,656 Posts
Out Jogging!

How's it going folks?
Well, I've been mainly eating & drinking.....and definitely not running! Consequently, I'm fat & unhealthy and with the London Marathon looming that HAS to change.

So today was the day. It was cold and windy but no excuses, it had to be done.

2.5 miles in total, about 2 miles of it actually jogging. Just under 13 mins a mile when I wasn't walking and wishing I was dead.

I'm pleased to say that after contracting Covid in January there seems to be no lasting respiratory impact, just unhealthiness!

Back on a diet, back running, and back on it!

In summary, I'm back!

Cheers,
Smull
:)

·
VZ Staff
24,131 Posts
Nice one Smull!

I did Week 5 Day 1 of the C25K this morning. Eating leftover pizza now...!

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,656 Posts
Nice one Smull!

I was gonna do C25K with my wife to get me started. Got bored waiting for my wife to run out of excuses though :D

·
VZ Staff
24,131 Posts
Nice one Smull!

I was gonna do C25K with my wife to get me started. Got bored waiting for my wife to run out of excuses though
Hahaha! I ran out of excuses with myself! I think it's brilliant. It's just difficult enough to be a challenge and just easy enough to stop you giving up. Week 5 Day 3 is a massive jump though...20 mins non-stop!

·
Premium Member
15,573 Posts
Mixed results this week. I went out yesterday and felt terrible. I slogged it out to 5k and called it a day. Today I felt fine and did 10k, there was some left in the tank, but I pushed the last couple of k's, rather than doing a longer run. Plus, I've got a speed session with my daughter later on. I won't lie, I'm dreading it. :D

·
Premium Member
15,573 Posts
Oh, I think I'll be working in that, there, London place next week. If any of you have any ideas for interesting runs, I'd love to know about them. Big parks, canals, etc, anywhere I don't have to keep checking for cars.

I know London is a big place, but I'm not sure where I'll be based yet.:)

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
Nice work guys, good to hear you're still on with it.
I had a lazy week last week... used up a whole year of excuses I think.... too cold, too windy, too wet, not cold enough, be nicer if there's a breeze :D you know how it goes...... so no runs completed last week. What a mistake....

Out last night, 30min straight run, pretty much 4k exactly. Weird thing is I felt it was getting more difficult and I was slowing as the run went on, but when I got home and checked, my individual times for each km were actually getting quicker (I wasn't trying to do anything other than 30 min without stopping). 7min 32 average per km, but:
km1 - 7.38
km2 - 7.42
km3 - 7.33
km4 - 7.19

All felt like equally hard work though. :lol:

Having a week off is not a good plan. :crazy:

So, all being well, out again tomorrow/Thursday, and again at the weekend. Meanwhile in other news, need to lose another 2lbs and I'll be the lightest I've been in 18 months....

What I've noticed is that although I feel equally knackered at the end of each run, I'm as knackered now after 30 min as I was after 10 min a few weeks ago... and I recover (i.e. can hold a conversation) quicker now... must be doing me some good!

Stay safe everyone :group:

·
Registered
17,109 Posts
Oh, I think I'll be working in that, there, London place next week. If any of you have any ideas for interesting runs, I'd love to know about them. Big parks, canals, etc, anywhere I don't have to keep checking for cars.

I know London is a big place, but I'm not sure where I'll be based yet.:)
I cycled from Bermondsey to the Thames Barrier once. Some dodgy areas but was a nice bike ride away from traffic. Not sure if that'll translate into a good run, although it went past good places like Greenwich and the O2/Dome. :)

3721 - 3740 of 3774 Posts