Volkszone Forum banner

3741 - 3760 of 3774 Posts

·
Administrator
166,797 Posts
Oh, I think I'll be working in that, there, London place next week. If any of you have any ideas for interesting runs, I'd love to know about them. Big parks, canals, etc, anywhere I don't have to keep checking for cars.

I know London is a big place, but I'm not sure where I'll be based yet.:)
I don't do running . . . but I lived in London for many years . . .

Here's a list dude . . .

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-...Kingdom:Running.Jogging.Routes.In.London.html

The Camden Town/Camden Lock will remind you of Salford (a bit anyway) - with trendy shops.

I believe the Greenwich run is part of the Marathon course - so you could pretend to be Smull. :D

And as you like your hills . . . Hamstead might well suit.

Safe travels - stay safe mate.

:)

·
VZ Staff
24,131 Posts
Week 5, Day 2 done. Walk 5, Run 8, Walk 5, Run 8, Walk 5. The next one is Walk 5, Run 20, Walk 5...20 minutes with no breaks. Jesus.

·
Premium Member
15,573 Posts
Nice work guys, good to hear you're still on with it.
I had a lazy week last week... used up a whole year of excuses I think.... too cold, too windy, too wet, not cold enough, be nicer if there's a breeze :D you know how it goes...... so no runs completed last week. What a mistake....

Out last night, 30min straight run, pretty much 4k exactly. Weird thing is I felt it was getting more difficult and I was slowing as the run went on, but when I got home and checked, my individual times for each km were actually getting quicker (I wasn't trying to do anything other than 30 min without stopping). 7min 32 average per km, but:
km1 - 7.38
km2 - 7.42
km3 - 7.33
km4 - 7.19

All felt like equally hard work though. :lol:

Having a week off is not a good plan. :crazy:

So, all being well, out again tomorrow/Thursday, and again at the weekend. Meanwhile in other news, need to lose another 2lbs and I'll be the lightest I've been in 18 months....

What I've noticed is that although I feel equally knackered at the end of each run, I'm as knackered now after 30 min as I was after 10 min a few weeks ago... and I recover (i.e. can hold a conversation) quicker now... must be doing me some good!

Stay safe everyone :group:
Don't feel bad about missing days, sometimes a rest is what's needed.

I cycled from Bermondsey to the Thames Barrier once. Some dodgy areas but was a nice bike ride away from traffic. Not sure if that'll translate into a good run, although it went past good places like Greenwich and the O2/Dome. :)
There's also Richmond Park if you're out West. You can do laps of that on the footpath.
There's also 'the claw' in North London. Someone I know does the route, but I'm not familiar with it. Just makes me smile. :)
I don't do running . . . but I lived in London for many years . . .

Here's a list dude . . .

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-...Kingdom:Running.Jogging.Routes.In.London.html

The Camden Town/Camden Lock will remind you of Salford (a bit anyway) - with trendy shops.

I believe the Greenwich run is part of the Marathon course - so you could pretend to be Smull. :D

And as you like your hills . . . Hamstead might well suit.

Safe travels - stay safe mate.

:)
Thanks folks. I'll have a proper look through them when I know where I'm staying .

Trendy shops. What! They have a Gregg's, with indoor seating?:D

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts

·
VZ Staff
24,131 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,573 Posts
Oh, I think I'll be working in that, there, London place next week. If any of you have any ideas for interesting runs, I'd love to know about them. Big parks, canals, etc, anywhere I don't have to keep checking for cars.

I know London is a big place, but I'm not sure where I'll be based yet.:)
I think I'll be somewhere near Clapham/Balham.

Is the common okay now, or am I likely to be pestered by MP's asking me if I want a lift?

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts

So this weekend will mark a bit of an occasion... I will have completed C25K, my last run being Saturday or Sunday depending on other commitments for the weekend.

This is my second time of trying it; I tried a few years ago, but my running partner and main motivator (the present Mrs BBB) aggravated an existing knee complaint on about week 5, and I packed it in. This time round, there have been no injuries (although there have been a few threats of injuries from the Mrs if I didn't get my a$$ off the couch and get my running gear on - thanks Em:hug:).

I have gone from unable to run 3 minutes non-stop, to being able to (just) run 30 minutes non-stop, yesterday's run averaging 7min 15 per km with a quickest of 7:02.... damn you 7 minute barrier... I WILL BEAT YOU!!! As a certified lazy, un-motivated toward exercise, overweight 47 year old non-runner who hadn't done anything remotely resembling exercise in years, I would recommend C25K to anyone who feels like they should do a bit more exercise.

At my weekly weigh in tomorrow, I'm hoping to be the lightest I've been in 18 months (need to drop 2lbs), and I don't feel like I've dieted...because I haven't. I'm definitely fitter than I've been in a long time, I'm as knackered after a 30 min run now as I was after a 3 minute run 7 weeks ago.

I'm still not at the point where I 'enjoy' it, but I'm past the point where I hate it, and I've set myself a few more goals... to push on past the 30 min over the next 2 weeks to a true '5k' rather than 30 min non stop, and then build up to the 10k, with a sub 60min time as my ultimate goal by the end of the summer. I shall carry on posting my progress, and look forward to seeing how others are doing.

Just want to say a big thank you to everyone on here who's replied to my posts, added words of encouragement and generally helped with my ailing motivation...Thank you all! This is for you: :group:

·
Registered
441 Posts
So this weekend will mark a bit of an occasion... I will have completed C25K, my last run being Saturday or Sunday depending on other commitments for the weekend.

This is my second time of trying it; I tried a few years ago, but my running partner and main motivator (the present Mrs BBB) aggravated an existing knee complaint on about week 5, and I packed it in. This time round, there have been no injuries (although there have been a few threats of injuries from the Mrs if I didn't get my a$$ off the couch and get my running gear on - thanks Em:hug:).

I have gone from unable to run 3 minutes non-stop, to being able to (just) run 30 minutes non-stop, yesterday's run averaging 7min 15 per km with a quickest of 7:02.... damn you 7 minute barrier... I WILL BEAT YOU!!! As a certified lazy, un-motivated toward exercise, overweight 47 year old non-runner who hadn't done anything remotely resembling exercise in years, I would recommend C25K to anyone who feels like they should do a bit more exercise.

At my weekly weigh in tomorrow, I'm hoping to be the lightest I've been in 18 months (need to drop 2lbs), and I don't feel like I've dieted...because I haven't. I'm definitely fitter than I've been in a long time, I'm as knackered after a 30 min run now as I was after a 3 minute run 7 weeks ago.

I'm still not at the point where I 'enjoy' it, but I'm past the point where I hate it, and I've set myself a few more goals... to push on past the 30 min over the next 2 weeks to a true '5k' rather than 30 min non stop, and then build up to the 10k, with a sub 60min time as my ultimate goal by the end of the summer. I shall carry on posting my progress, and look forward to seeing how others are doing.

Just want to say a big thank you to everyone on here who's replied to my posts, added words of encouragement and generally helped with my ailing motivation...Thank you all! This is for you: :group:
Congratulations, fantastic achievement, it still amazes me that you (the collective you, not you personally!) struggle to run for 60 seconds in the first week and then can to 30 mins after such a short space of time!

·
Premium Member
15,573 Posts

That's probably the most important thing.

It's fantastic for seeing improvements, but try not to fixate on the time and distance too much. Sometimes I pick a distant point (It's normally a point where I think I'm 3/4's through the run) and refuse to look at my watch before I get there. It becomes my treat.

Enjoy your weekend run. If you get to thirty minutes and feel good, see if you can carry on to a distant tree, then a lamppost,......... you might surprise yourself.

I'm not going to wish you good luck, luck has nothing to do with it. You've trained, you're a runner. Have a good one.:)

·
Premium Member
15,573 Posts
I've been keeping at 5k and trying to get quicker - I just can't get less than 28 and half mins though however hard I push - mainly because I don't have the time to go on longer runs and also I don't want to get stuck halfway round!!
Missed this first time. Try this:

Warm up. Something to get your heart pumping, but don't knacker yourself out.

5x1km, with 3-4 mins rest in between each one. Aim for 5 minute k's, don't worry if it drifts up to 5.30. The rest should be long enough to get your breathing down and under control, but not too long to be normal (sitting on the sofa) breathing.

Cool down.

Do it for a couple of weeks (5-6 times). Don't do long runs during it.

*If it's easy, keep the pace at 5 mins, but shorten the rest period between each one.*

Go for a 5k run.

If I'm doing this, I prefer to do it over a 5k course (the local ParkRun course is ideal), stopping after each k, rather than 1k loops. It helps me pace it, when I go for it on the 5k run.

*I'm currently doing something similar with my daughter.

**Today was my fourth runday on the bounce. I feel like my mojo is coming back.:)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Missed this first time. Try this:

Warm up. Something to get your heart pumping, but don't knacker yourself out.

5x1km, with 3-4 mins rest in between each one. Aim for 5 minute k's, don't worry if it drifts up to 5.30. The rest should be long enough to get your breathing down and under control, but not too long to be normal (sitting on the sofa) breathing.

Cool down.

Do it for a couple of weeks (5-6 times). Don't do long runs during it.

*If it's easy, keep the pace at 5 mins, but shorten the rest period between each one.*

Go for a 5k run.

If I'm doing this, I prefer to do it over a 5k course (the local ParkRun course is ideal), stopping after each k, rather than 1k loops. It helps me pace it, when I go for it on the 5k run.

*I'm currently doing something similar with my daughter.

**Today was my fourth runday on the bounce. I feel like my mojo is coming back.:)
Thank you, I'll give that a go, although haven't been out much lately, all my 'spare' time is being taken up by my reignited passion for skateboarding

·
Premium Member
15,573 Posts
It's finely happened. I got dusted by my daughter.

We were doing a speed session. On the first one, we were neck and neck, but I was blowing hard. From that moment she knew she"d got me. She believed! The next seven reps were hell, I even walked on one.

I'm made up for her.:D

·
Registered
17,109 Posts
It's finally happened. I got dusted by my daughter.

We were doing a speed session. On the first one, we were neck and neck, but I was blowing hard. From that moment she knew she'd got me. She believed! The next seven reps were hell, I even walked on one.

I'm made up for her. :D
You can retire now! :lol:

3741 - 3760 of 3774 Posts