Volkszone Forum banner
3801 - 3820 of 3832 Posts

· VZ Staff
19,893 Posts
Bored of running the same route?

So far, not bored enough to try something like that! I've currently two routes - one for daytime and one for nighttime. The daytime one has no streetlights and so is very unsuitable in the evenings at this time of year.

· VZ Staff
19,893 Posts
Week 2 Day 2 done. I'm running along with my completely unenthusiastic 13 year old. It's good to have the company but I'd prefer if he'd run a bit faster! The older boy goes to the gym a couple of times a week so I thought I needed to get the younger one doing something rather than stare at his phone or the XBox at every free moment. It's a challenge. He's inevitably about 5 yards behind me and I'm having to constantly tell him to catch up. It's not like he can't keep pace as the distance between us is constant. Maybe I'm just not cool enough to run with! 😆

Reactions: Sol Ford

· Premium Member
15,745 Posts
Week 2 Day 2 done. I'm running along with my completely unenthusiastic 13 year old. It's good to have the company but I'd prefer if he'd run a bit faster! The older boy goes to the gym a couple of times a week so I thought I needed to get the younger one doing something rather than stare at his phone or the XBox at every free moment. It's a challenge. He's inevitably about 5 yards behind me and I'm having to constantly tell him to catch up. It's not like he can't keep pace as the distance between us is constant. Maybe I'm just not cool enough to run with! 😆
There's probably some sort of maths equation for it.

On current form, my thirteen year old can run a 5k about five minutes faster than me. Yet if we go out together, she's five paces behind me the whole way.......until I say we'll finish at that bench/tree/bridge, then she disappears into the distance.

I've tried all sorts of things; treats, threats, dad dancing in front of her mates, to no avail.

*I've just noticed there's only a h separating treat and threat, I'm sure a trick-cyclist would have a field day.😁

· Premium Member
15,745 Posts
Oh, I'm making a conscious effort to get out more and do RnED January. I'm going to Run nearly Every Day in January.

No.3 has been selected to run for the town in the county XC. The town council has absolutely no interest in organising a qualifying event, so have just picked the known runners.🙄 I'm (We're) very disappointed. As she's progressed, she's realised she's not going to the Olympics and that you rarely win races. Town champion was a real possibility and now that's not going to happen. Netball is currently overtaking running in her priorities.

· Retired Mr.Vzi
22,760 Posts
How are we all doing folks? I was battling through my training for (yet another) London Marathon but it's all over after an ill-judged trip on a water slide with my kids saw me tear my intercostal (rib) muscles over the bank holiday weekend (and yes, it’s as sore as it sounds). I held on to some hope that the injury would be short lived but had to attend hospital last Thursday where the final nail was knocked into the coffin.

Despite a tempestuous relationship with my marathon training this year I’m no less gutted and will miss not competing. I’ll be there to cheer on family & friends (and perhaps consume a little Pimm’s) and hope to be back on the other side of the fence in 2023/4.

My friend will be continuing our quest without me (and I know we're in the midst of a cost of living crisis) but if anybody would like to donate, please clicky the linky:

Cheers,
Andy (Smull)

· Premium Member
15,745 Posts
How are we all doing folks? I was battling through my training for (yet another) London Marathon but it's all over after an ill-judged trip on a water slide with my kids saw me tear my intercostal (rib) muscles over the bank holiday weekend (and yes, it’s as sore as it sounds). I held on to some hope that the injury would be short lived but had to attend hospital last Thursday where the final nail was knocked into the coffin.

Despite a tempestuous relationship with my marathon training this year I’m no less gutted and will miss not competing. I’ll be there to cheer on family & friends (and perhaps consume a little Pimm’s) and hope to be back on the other side of the fence in 2023/4.

My friend will be continuing our quest without me (and I know we're in the midst of a cost of living crisis) but if anybody would like to donate, please clicky the linky:

Cheers,
Andy (Smull)
Couldn't you just man the [email protected]#k up for a few hours?

Take it easy dude and don't beat yourself up about it. There's always next year. 🙂

· Retired Mr.Vzi
22,760 Posts
Cheers guys. Just one of those things. I shall be high on painkillers for the next couple of weeks and then get to watch the race with family so not all bad :)

· Premium Member
15,745 Posts
😁👍

Whisper it, but I seem to be stumbling back into enjoying my running. The past year or so has seen me have a love/hate relationship with it, going out infrequently, but never pushing on or bowing out. The last couple of months I've been going out a bit more regularly, but generally keeping to 5k and never more than 25k in a week. A check of my recent runs seems to indicate more runs and distance. Last night, I even enjoyed a 12k run in the pouring rain, which followed Monday's two 5k's and an ill-fated bike ride (see cycling thread😁)

How you doing?

· Premium Member
15,745 Posts
Just got back from a 21k run. First long run in ages and possibly the slowest half I've done when running for myself. I'm in bits, but quite pleased with myself. A bit of a hot spot on a toe, hopefully it'll settle rather than blister.

· Retired Mr.Vzi
22,760 Posts
Just got back from a 21k run. First long run in ages and possibly the slowest half I've done when running for myself. I'm in bits, but quite pleased with myself. A bit of a hot spot on a toe, hopefully it'll settle rather than blister.
Not half bad my hill running chum. See you in London next year?!

· Premium Member
15,745 Posts
Not half bad my hill running chum. See you in London next year?!
Twenty six miles on tarmac, surrounded by jabbering, shandy-drinking Southerners, with buttons sewn on their coats and hats. Not likely.🤪

I could've stopped at tarmac, but hey.😁

Talking of marathons, several run buddies are doing this:

this weekend. A weekend of partying, with marathon thrown in. It winds its way through vineyards and there's wine (along with steak, oysters, etc,) drinks stations at every mile.

They're probably at some pasta and wine party as I speak (type).

I'll see you at that next year!

· Retired Mr.Vzi
22,760 Posts
Twenty six miles on tarmac, surrounded by jabbering, shandy-drinking Southerners, with buttons sewn on their coats and hats. Not likely.🤪

I could've stopped at tarmac, but hey.😁
I’ll put you down as a maybe.

Talking of marathons, several run buddies are doing this:

this weekend. A weekend of partying, with marathon thrown in. It winds its way through vineyards and there's wine (along with steak, oysters, etc,) drinks stations at every mile.

They're probably at some pasta and wine party as I speak (type).

I'll see you at that next year!
Not sure I could run with a belly full of party on board. Not the best at it without that tbh:LOL:

· Premium Member
15,745 Posts
I’ll put you down as a maybe.
:LOL:

Not sure I could run with a belly full of party on board. Not the best at it without that tbh:LOL:
I've been looking at their Strava feeds. It turns out it was slightly longer, 44k, to get an extra vineyard in. One lad has noted that he drunk 43 glasses of wine during the 'race'. I hope it put him in the mood for the evening meal and drinks.🤪

· Retired Mr.Vzi
22,760 Posts
This week I've mostly managed a few shorter run, plus a 19k this morning. It's getting easier, if not faster.😁
We’ll make a marathon runner out of you yet :LOL: I’m still incapacitated with my rib injury, it’s been agony but I feel that I’ve finally turned a corner. Watch this space!

3801 - 3820 of 3832 Posts