Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ,
Just wondered who's tried painting there car/van with Rustoleum paint and a roller and what results your getting.
I'm part way through my Bug in Marlin Blue and have encountered a problem. The panels are beggining to show signs of 'solvent popping' (minute bubbles in the painted surface). The finish has been excellent after taking ages applying 6 coats of topcoat and colour sanding each in between as stated in the previous Rustoleum discussion. I then compounded the panel with Farecla polishing compound and waxed the panel. The finish was very,very good however after standing about 1 month the surface is now covered in the little bubbles. I'm gutted. Anyone else experienced this ? Whats causing the bubbles after such a long time ? Whats your experiences of Rustoleum ?
Please help :eek:

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I Used rustoleum hard hat paint to do the roof of my ghia (it was an aerosol though so may be different).About 6 coats,then I baked it under halogen spotlights for 2 weeks before using Farecla and a mop,as it takes a while to harden properly.The result was fantastic.12months later and it's still perfect (kept outside).

Ade.

·
Registered
201 Posts
You need to speak to a paint expert but it sounds to me like you may of waxed it too early to start with. Can you get the wax off and let it breath for a while?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Oh dear, I think you have 3 possiblities....
1, live with it.
2, colour sand till you loose any holes, prep properly and go again.
3, As above, but paint with a water based Auto paint then clear.I am using water based auto paint on this at the moment!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Guys, thread is 41 pages long now

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=234403&page=2

Tried it myself and run out of time this summer. Its good stuff and cheap and yes, sound like waxing too early has caused the problem.

It sealing, skinning prior to drying is an issue.

I had issues when sanding and paint not dry yet week after aplication.

Was putting stuff on too thick, 10% white spirits, as per instructions.
Needs to be 20%+ and not done on a 30'C day like what i did, skinned to quick keeping solvent in, so didn't dry fully even after a week.

Trick is as per thread to put stuff on like water. It then dries no problems quickly, & ultra smooth. Runs sorted out with wet sanding/repeat coats and practise.

1 guy on the forum made a suggestion to my problem.
You cannot polish a turd, ie non dry paint skinned in, .

You can :D.

I waited 6 weeks for the stuff to dry fully (was like the surface of the moon to start with), then wet sand3ed smooth with 1000 grade. Took a day but now ready to start again, when weather predicatble and warm.

My bumbers look great as they were done last. Pitty i started on the roof. :eek:

Do roof again in the spring.

Argos Earlexed the lower half, no problems really.

The roller painting takes abit practise.

Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts