Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has finally put her foot down and my old Beetle has to go, to make space on the drive.
Even the unfitted Wizard kit is up for sale, along with Chassis, gearbox, Alfasud engines and Alfa to VW adaptor, plus other parts, PLEASE SEE MY OTHER POST IN PARTS.

I've owned it since 1978 and it has seen better days. Looking rather sad and sorry and now needs someone who has the time and skills to bring it back to life.

We live in the Bristol area and the car would need to be trailered away, it is partially stripped, has no MOT and is not in a roadworthy condition.

The Beetle (1973 YNF***M Reg, 1300A, square bumper model, Senegal Red, big rear lights) IS FOR SALE AT £500. This may sound a lot for a car that is partially stripped waiting for new repair panels and seen better days in the past.
http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s73/vwroadster/Sad Red 73 Beetle for Sale/
The pictures (15) were taken recently (within the last month) and show it without wings, bumpers and door trim, also the left hand heater channel has been removed for a replacement to be fitted (left and right side heater repair channels supplied). I have most of the repair panels to repair most of the structure. 4 wings, front clip, rear valance, rear bumper hangers, etc. It may need a door (bottom rusty) but I have some panels for that and maybe a decent S/H door. The car is a 1973, although the chassis is listed as a 1974, so it has the later front gearbox mounting. 4 Spax shocks, although 2 are gas and 2 oil.

The engine started out as a 1300cc but has been fitted with 1600cc barrels and pistons from Autocavan (since closed), it has twin Kadron carbs, 009 dissy, blue coil, heavy duty oil pump with a golf spin off filter. 125,000 miles. The exhaust did run 2 cherry bomb silencers but this needs replacing maybe along with the heat exchangers, I have good S/H replacements for both. The electrics have been disconnected as the loom runs along the L/H side of the car, so I don't think it would be possible to start the engine. The gearbox has been drained of oil as one of the gaiters has split, which lead to a leak (I have a pair of gaiters for the axles). The car has a set of American large front indicators which light up amber when the lights are switched on (not to everyone's taste and not great if going for a cal look).

The chrome wheels are past their best (chrome wise) and the tyres are only suitable for moving the vehicle. I may have a decent set of S/H tyres for it. (I know there are 2, 165x15, good part worns in the car) The brakes have been disconnected as I was in the process of replacing them.

It has stainless fixings, and I can supply most for the wings, running boards and bumpers, maybe the floor pan too. The floor pan looks fairly sound although is in need of some treatment (rust preventative and paint). The car did have gold reflective film fitted to the windows but this has seen better days, I have clear glass replacements and a heated rear screen (may not match on the factory etch codes). Also a set of trim less window rubbers. The running boards I have will fit but have a wide chrome strip which is wrong for the age of car (should be thin). I have an original pair of 3 point front seats in need of cleaning and the rear bench along with 4 door cards. Inertia front seat belts. Remember this is a later car, so some parts off earlier Beetles will not fit this car. The red primer is Bonda rust primer and seems to have helped where it's been applied, shame I didn't treat the whole car in it.

I must have loads of parts for it but they are packed into boxes, from when we moved down here from Manchester, with my job. If I come across anything that should be with the Beetle and was not passed on at the time of the sale, I will endeavour to get these to the buyer.

Looking at the photos, they could put someone off if I asked toooooo much. I think with the twin Kadron carbs, it's not an unrealistic price, just need someone with the time and skills to bring her back to life. I've had fun in her, being my third car (VW Beetle) before I succumbed to water cooled pressure.

If you require any further information I (Peter) can be contacted on 07951 117533 or [email protected]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, I'd really like to try and sell this as a complete vehicle. The 2 vehicles have caused a lot of aggro at home, so if I can sell it all in one go then that would help my situation at home. If I sold it as separate parts, it would take longer to shift. Thanks. I should have a pair of front wings (upright headlights, although they have been modified to take round indicators below the headlights, fitted from behind) and a bonnet off the Wizard kit. The short 1300 bonnet can be seen here (Pics 66,67):
http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s73/vwroadster/For Sale/VW Wizard Kit/
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The seats are an unknown quantity, they are not VW or Porsche, I got them years ago off a mate who thinks they are from a Japanese car, no idea what model. There is also some damage to the vinyl fabric where it creases from what I can remember.

If you still wanted them, would you collect ? They are quite heavy so I am unsure of postage/courier charges. We are away Thursday for a long weekend with the kids. So I wouldn't be able to do anything with them until after that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts