Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
11,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I don't get on here much of late for to a lot of reasons, family things going on mainly but I feel I still am a part of the vzi family and all the wise folks it has
With that and the unfortunate passing of my father in law, my wife has some inheritance and we want to put it into a savings account but not locked in unaccessible, would like it safe out of our current account, we have joint account, and in a savings but with no penalty to access it.
My pretty uneducated brain, as we have never had enough money to have savings, has seen one with Yorkshire Building Society that seems reasonable. Tried watching the Martin Lewis money show last night but the bloke irritates the hell out of me
Thanks in advance all

· Premium Member
15,751 Posts
At the moment, unless you're talking £££££££'s, most bank/building society savings accounts offer so little interest, it's more a case of which one loses the least value.

Some ISA's, or whatever name they're currently using, will give you a better rate and will allow a certain number or amount withdrawals a year/term.

Hopefully someone a bit more hands on will be along shortly.

Good luck with it 👍

· Premium Member
9,459 Posts
On TV last night, Martin Lewis was saying the only reason to go for an ISA is the Tax free interest but everyone already has a 20K tax free savings allowance, and you can get better rates from Bank Savings account. So only go ISA if you have already put 20K in bank savings. Perhaps worth checking the details.

· Registered
7,206 Posts
Money saving expert website is probably your best bet. You don’t have to listen to Martin Lewis then !!
They usually have comparisons for the “best” accounts based on varying levels of capital.
worth an hours trawl i reckon
My condolences for your loss

· I'm not an addict... honest!
4,123 Posts
Hi Mick,

My condolences mate.

Like Sol says ISAs or Bonds would be your best bet mate.

Good luck.
+1 for bonds - I have one called Janus Henderson European Selected Opportunities Fund
I've done ok from it - it's been a bit flat after covid and Ukraine but up 10% since September
Simple enough online dashboard and you can sell units as and when and it's transferred to you bank in a few days

:)

· Registered
5,323 Posts
Have you thought about Premium Bonds Mick? Obviously there's an element of risk that you don't win much but it keeps it interesting. If you want an easy option Chase have a really good app, instant access and transfer in and out and currently 2.7% on savings.

4,123 Posts
I love the flexibility of Chase account & app
With the ability to switch your money between savings and spending and 1% cash back on spends

· Registered
448 Posts
Marcus by Goldman Sachs pays reasonable interest on savings
Yorkshire BS ISA is OK
Premium Bonds is a great shout and with £25k should provide pretty good chance of winning the lower prizes regularly and all tax free. they also have a savings account option.

· Registered
32 Posts
i pu my savings in premium bonds, 50k in my name 25k in my partners. in the last year i had 800 in winnings, on mine alone. my partners being max out at 50k had a simular amount,
if you have over a 100k you may well consider buying into the property market, buy a buy to let, 3 beds av 800 a month,
or just buy a nice shiny VW camper.

4,123 Posts
People will say you can get a better return in a bank account than Premium Bonds but 2%+ return from a £1,000,000 lottery isn't too shabby - Fingers crossed for the big one @pmacs49

1 - 17 of 17 Posts