Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The start of another project thread :)

I've been looking for a good solid tax exempt 1302/03 for a few months and finally settled on this 1302s

A long trip to Portsmouth with Stroke It (Thanks Dan :D) and a quick chat with Wolksvagen, and the deal was done :)

The Plan :D

Before travelling down to Portsmouth I met up with turbo bug (cheers Matt) and took this off him

:D
It's a JMR built 2276 (and star of the recent Volksworld 'How to's... ;) )
I think this motor deserves to be hooked up with a 5-speed, so that is on the list, but the first thing to sort will be brakes and suspension.
It needs to come down a couple of inches at the front and the plan is to upgrade to discs at the rear. (It already has discs at the front ;) )
The body and paint are pretty good though I think I will lose the indicators from the top of the front wings so a trip up to Day Mouldings could be in order.
Ultimately I would love a set of JGE GeeBees to go on, but I've just been offered a set of 4 stud BRM's (thanks Dan D) so they will do for starters.
The plan is to create a bit of a sleeper. The intention is to keep it as a 'rolling' project as much as possible and the overriding ethos is 'go not show' ;)

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Currently has a set of 7x15 steelies on it (on loan from Stroke It - thanks again Dan :) )

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi Neil i had a quick eyeball of your new motor the other day and very nice it is too. That engine is the nuts also :D

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
devildriver said:
Hi Neil i had a quick eyeball of your new motor the other day and very nice it is too. That engine is the nuts also :D
Cheers Ryan :D
It'll be a little while before it all starts coming together, though I think I've got a good base car to start with.
But I know I'm going to want that engine in sooner rather than later. 1600cc is just not enough :crazy:

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
hi neil, popped over to dans today and heard of the new project, there might be a lil sex wee on your engine sorry!

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Cool, that looks like a superb '02, especially the steel sunroof. LOVE the wheels!!! Stealth look? :D

·
Registered
838 Posts
Hey Neil 02 looks sweet, very sweet! That engine looks awesome too although you knows it would look much sweeter in an early cal-looker! :D :D But you will listen to that Mr Simpson! Dont let him touch that engine will ya...or at least dont let him go near the flywheel nut!! :incheek:

Looks sweet with the steelies dude, stealth look, love it! Needs droping tho, i've seen higher riding baja's! :moon:

:hangloose

·
Registered
378 Posts
Is that the same engine that I saw yesterday bolted up to a black 03? I'm sure it was!

look forward to the progress on this thread Neil ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well Neil what can i add, maybe you should listen to the likes of (young l ) he has had so many 02s @03s ?has'nt he ?? all modified??
the trouble with the cal look fraternity is they like the looks & going fast in a straight line, where as the 02/03 like there cars to handle well & go fast as well, how many young lads i know knock 03s etc but have never owned one or driven one especially if its been modified ive had all models tried most mods over the last 30 years i th
nk i can say what IMHO is a better bug :incheek:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Here here Stroke it.
Supers are a much better car, can't believe some of the crap people write about torsion bar bugs.
One quote from a recent Volkstosh mag said, " i fitted a narrowed axle and 135 tyres to improve handling", yeah that'd be right.

·
Registered
838 Posts
funny you say that japeto, i'm sure i saw a black beetle that looked like dans 'trying to' keep up with a red '69 bug down the sandwich by pass.....mmmm! :tick:

Dan....I drove yours, it was slow and heavy...man it was slow, didnt handle too bad tho but when your hitting corners at 30 its gonna handle well! :moon: :hug:

I owned a black 03 dan that was lowered on revolutions, matt black paintwork, most rustiest beetle i've ever owned!!Never again. :rolleyes:

CAL-LOOK RULES! :D :D

:hangloose

·
Registered
838 Posts
260 KMN said:
Here here Stroke it.
Supers are a much better car, can't believe some of the crap people write about torsion bar bugs.
One quote from a recent Volkstosh mag said, " i fitted a narrowed axle and 135 tyres to improve handling", yeah that'd be right.
I love this car, its just so right, amazing!

I thought fitting 135s and a narrowed beam did improve handling?! :rolleyes: Least with all the rain we seem to be having at the mo, those 135s won't aqua plane....thats an improvement on handling isnt it?! :D :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for the support 260KMN, oh, the youth of today, i like you're cab, looks ,good but then it would ,its an 03. bet that slides through the air with that aerodynamic screen, ignore youngL he had his 03 for about a day ? and sent it back for scrap ,it was a badden . this thred will get more interesting as the 02 progres,s im sure, good bit of banta.
Dan.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I love that cabrio, infact if i had another beetle it would be very very similar to that. Neils 02 rocks too and YoungL's just daft in the head :incheek:

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I go away for a week and it all kicks off on my thread :lol:

Thanks for all your comments guys :)

All I can say is 'Watch this space (thread)' :D

·
Registered
719 Posts
Super beetles handle alot better!

Good to see you both (Schmeil & Stroke it) earlier today. As a fellow Super Beetle owner, I have to agree with you, they most definitely out handle a torsion bug. (I've owned both varieties.)
Young L, you and I will have to get together later in the year and do one of the trackdays at Lydden. Time to put your money where your mouth is! :D (This is Dan D if you haven't worked it out yet)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Originally posted by Malakadan
Young L, you and I will have to get together later in the year and do one of the trackdays at Lydden. Time to put your money where your mouth is!
Can I represent the torsion bar car at this event?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Your car is half (IRS rear) a super, but you can only use half throttle :incheek: because of that. it would be nice to see going around lydden though ooooh eh? :eek:

·
Registered
838 Posts
Japeto said:
Can I represent the torsion bar car at this event?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think thats fair. If these Super Beetle thingies handle so much more superiour, then surely we have to have a slight advantage?!

I think a 'slight' increase in engine power is a fair one...and if its DanD's Vs yours Rich, your both running turbos so there is no argument that one is turbo'd and the other a normaly aspirated engine!

I think it would be cool to see some bug action around Lydden!

1 - 20 of 94 Posts