Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh dear.

I just turn over my engine trying to get it to start but had left the big spanner on the crank pulley.....

The nut came off, theres a smell of gunpowder coming from it now, and some liquid/gas shot out of the air vent on the top (the air filter is off)

Turniing over the crank by hand now I've tightened it back up is ok - its still level.

But what's that gunpowder smell.....? There is some fuel in the carb..

I know I know, I'm an idiot, and now rather petrified as to what i just did...

Help.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone....?

I've been having a think. The pulley didn't come off, and as far as i can tell from turing it over by hand everything seems ok...

This car hasnt been started in 15 years, this is the very first time its had petrol in the carb, i just fixed the electrics and am now getting a spark at the points as per the haynes manual test.

is it poss that the gunpowdery smell is just old crap that's in the carb.

or have i truly buggered it?

I'm genuinely worried and all help appreciated. :eek:

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
If youre timing etc is all ok it will probably be fine- check your valve gaps and points gap then try turning it over without the main HT lead attached so it pumps oil round but wont start. Then attach the lead and start her up. Pop an airfilter on it though, just to stop it sucking any shit in, and stop it popping back.

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
Its just all the old soot and carbon thats been deposited over the years. You can run a bit of white spirit or carb cleaner through it to clear it if youre worried about, nothing to be concerned about though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts