Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
taken from stateside tunings website;

Sealant
Permatex case sealant (excellent product for case and oil pump/valve covers etc) £7.99 (pot with brush)
Permatex hi-temp RTV sealant (excellent on barrel bases/cam plug ) £6.50 (tube) RED

according to this i need both?

i intended to use permatex case sealant then just a general rtv sealant for the barrels.

is this ok?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
taken from stateside tunings website;

Sealant
Permatex case sealant (excellent product for case and oil pump/valve covers etc) £7.99 (pot with brush)
Permatex hi-temp RTV sealant (excellent on barrel bases/cam plug ) £6.50 (tube) RED

according to this i need both?

i intended to use permatex case sealant then just a general rtv sealant for the barrels.

is this ok?
Hi there,

Permatex to join the case halves and any automotive silicone sealant for the barrels. I also use case sealant on the cam plug and have never had a leaky one. Never heard of, and don't much like the idea of using silicone there...

Cheers, Carl

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good stuff matey :)
I'll get a pot of the brush on sealant then from these and use rtv on the rest?

If I use rtv on the barrels do I still use the paper gaskets too?

Also is there anywhere where rtv does replace paper gaskets (oil pump?)

Cheers Carl :)

Luke

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Good stuff matey :)
I'll get a pot of the brush on sealant then from these and use rtv on the rest?

If I use rtv on the barrels do I still use the paper gaskets too?

Also is there anywhere where rtv does replace paper gaskets (oil pump?)

Cheers Carl :)

Luke
Hi Luke.

Yes, that would be fine . You can trust anything that James at Stateside lists. When buying RTV, get a pressurised can or a cartridge for a mastic gun as these are far easier to control than a tube!

I would not use the paper barrel gaskets but do not replace any other paper gaskets with RTV. Rocker gaskets are of such variable quality that I now 'glue' them to the rocker cover only using gasket compound (not RTV). This seems to have cured all the 'squeezing out' problems which I have experienced with rocker cover gaskets.

Further, I always Loctite all the fasteners in an engine, partly for insurance and partly so I torque them up straight away before it goes off, thus eliminating the chance of missing tightening anything. For belt-and-braces, and to ensure a nice dry engine, I also Loctite both sides of all the external washers on the case. Without going on about Loctite too much; ok, so I am :D, it also makes any fastener immune to seizing from the effects of corrosion and therefore much easier to undo years down the line. Not quite so relevant to engines but imagine, no more seized door screws if they had been thread-locked from new...

Cheers, Carl.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
^^^ wise words. Another big fan of loctite here, just don't use it on the flywheel gland nut. Curil T is another good sealant for use between barrels/case and camplug. Hard to find in motor factors but volkspares sell it.

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for that :)

so permatex on the case halves and cam plug then rtv everywhere else where it could leak oil?

what anbout on the pushrod seals and the main stud seals?
ive got a tube of loctite blue rtv stuff in a cartridge i was gonna use.

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Me too, Blue Hylomar (as recommended by John Maher) used very sparingly for everything and no silicone whatsoever. Not let me down in decades!

Reactions: GARRICK.CLARK
1 - 18 of 18 Posts