Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do people fit second batterys into there beetles?
If so what is your or there main reason?
I was just wondering how carfull i would have to be about connecting extras lights/big horns/stereos speakers and stuff??

·
Highly Respected Member
13,557 Posts
Shouldn't need one unless you're running some sort of huge sound system.

Some camper owners fit them to power the telly, fans, lights etc when they're camped up but no real need in a Beetle.

Dave.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool not running any big sound system will only get broken into if i do that and my doors dont lock all the time as it is.but do like the idea of a dukes of hazerd style horn :)

·
Highly Respected Member
13,557 Posts
You'll be OK with the horn (Fnarr Fnarr....)

You're not going to be using it constantly anyway are you ? (Your neigbours will probably lynch you before you get chance to run one battery flat anyway)
:D

A second battery is only really needed if you're using a lot of power when the engine isn't running. If you use a lot of power when running you need an uprated alternator before you need a second battery.

Dave.

·
Registered
21,200 Posts
An uprated alternator will do much better than a second battery if you've got a large sound system (unless you're gonna be running the sound system whilst parked).

If you've got space, fit a second pulley to the crank and a modern alternator above the stock dynamo. Alternators from large German saloons like Mercs BMWs etc are usually good for at least 100 amps.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mr.Whippy said:
You're not going to be using it constantly anyway are you ? (Your neigbours will probably lynch you before you get chance to run one battery flat anyway)
:D

Dave.
True think they maybe growing tired of me brum bruming around the place already i love the sound of bugs always have :) :) :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts