Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Construction boom in China means:

1. The scrap value of a 2p coin in China is 3p. Get enough to warrant the shipping costs and you're literally pennies in.

2. Buy brand new copper pipes at B&Q and take them straight to a copper scrap dealer - they're worth more in weight at scrap value than you paid for them.

So sell your house and buy more cars. Scrap metal is the future!

By the way, points 1 & 2 may be complete apocryphal bollocks, but what I do know is that in my trade, empty beer kegs are being stolen to ship to China because of the high value of scrap. The brewers have even stuck tracking devices on kegs. Bit daft, because any thief just wacks 'em off with a hammer!

Suddenly "Ratticus", who's sat in my garage for a year, has become an investment! And I didn't use the pikey word once in this message...

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
re the beer keg trackers, best story I heard was that they then chuck the trackers into drays (beer delivery lorries) whilst a delivery is taking place and the brewery then spends ages tracking their kegs in their own lorries! meanwhile, the kegs are piled up at Harwich docks...I always say never let the truth get in the way of a good story...

·
Somewhere else...........
3,418 Posts
We are demolishing a massive building in Northwich to facilitate the construction of 100's of new houses.

We got the quote back......they are going to pay us £50k to do it :eek:

Why when its clad in asbestos sheeting?

Because the amount of steel in it is worth more than the demolition and asbestos remove costs ;)

Its not all good......cost of copper pipe & wire has gone up 120% in the last 18 months because the chinqs are buying up all the raw copper :rolleyes:

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
Tell me about it! The price of copper is making the materiels for rewiring rise a bit.

I might have to start measuring out how much wire I need exactly rather than just measuring out 10 meters and cutting off the excess once it's threaded through the car.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes, but that old wiring that you used to take to the recycling (or chucked in the bin) is now worth money!

·
Registered
19,818 Posts
The local scrap dealer here is paying £3.50 a kilo for old copper pipes. Quite handy seeing as I've just ripped out my old plumbing to replace it with polypipe :D

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
strummerbus said:
yes, but that old wiring that you used to take to the recycling (or chucked in the bin) is now worth money!
Hmm... that's a very good point! I tend not to chuck it in the bin - rather just leave it on the ground in the back yard because I've just spent the last hour trying to get all the disintegrating wire out and I'm a tad pissed off!

Wonder how much it's worth?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Nige G said:
The local scrap dealer here is paying £3.50 a kilo for old copper pipes. Quite handy seeing as I've just ripped out my old plumbing to replace it with polypipe :D
BUGGER!

Guess wot I just did! Bin man must be happy. Mind you, with Christmas looming, he can consider it his bonus.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts