Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had a semi auto beetle?? What are they like to drive?? Are they reliable??

Thinking of getting one for the misses, so don't wont too much hasstle!!

cheers

·
Registered
1,460 Posts

Herbie is a semi auto :D
You just steer and he does the rest :coffeecup

Seriously = My wife uses Herbie as her daily for work and shopping and occasionally for school runs etc.
We've not found any more reliability problems than any other bug, not sure what the spares availability is like if anything goes wrong with semi auto bits etc.

Get in chuck it in gear (position similar to 3rd) and away you go :crazy: wack it into next gear without a clutch pedal :crazy:

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I've one, although it's not been driven for a few years cos it needs heater channels.

Excellent for pottering about in, 1st gear for town and 2nd for the open road and the option of the crawler gear for the (not so) quick getaway!

Parts are a problem though which is why many have been converted to manual (along with the fact they have ball joint front with IRS rear).

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers,

do you have to manualy go through the gears as you drive (but without the clutch) or can you stick it in drive and use the gas and brake??

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jack-the-bug,

Cheers,

I'm gonna buy one off ebay today, it finishes in an hour, it's only up for £1500, so I thought I'd take a chance, and it's only in Acton, so not a massive trek! I saw your "herbie" on the earlier thread, coooool! My wife doesn't want the strips though (I do!) It's trying to convince her that driving a 36 year old car that will be different to her 5 year old euro box is ok!! (really the beetles for me!!)

I've also got a customised ghia that I like to rag around carshalton ponds and past the Greyhound car park on a regular basis.

When I get it, I'll PM you and you can show her/ me how to make it go!! I live up by the bakers near beeches station.

Bazza

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
ginga said:
Mine's actually a bit of a mystery as UK Semi's were high spec cars, either 1500 SP or 1600 TP both with front disc brakes but mine is 1300 SP with with drums all round. Also, it sat around Wolfsburg for 18 months before being registered by VW, even though it's RHD. Eventually it came over here which is why it has an R plate despite being built in 1969.
This is one thing i love about volkswagen every one of them has some kind of story behind them which is way there owners love them some much :)

·
Registered
655 Posts
Hi Bazza
This is my semi...

bought her last year and only had two owners from new and all history etc, ive done a few things with her ie new brms, lowered etc and she's great to drive, gets a bit of getting used to not using your left leg but not had any real probs so far. if you want to know anymore about semi-autos check out the VW Automatic register website (google it) and it tells you how they work,what to look out for and parts availability etc
Go for it mate you wont regret it and if you want anymore advice let me know :D

·
Registered
655 Posts
thanks Ross, it's actually an Oct '67 but 68 model year so one of the first semi autos i believe :D !!

·
Registered
12,323 Posts
My mate has a semi auto chassis sitting in his garden if anyone is in need of spares. The 'box and gear lever are still attached and i think there might be some more semi auto spares hidden in his shed.
PM me if you're interested and i'll find out what he's got and prices.

·
Registered
8,171 Posts
tez1503 said:
thanks Ross, it's actually an Oct '67 but 68 model year so one of the first semi autos i believe :D !!
Well mines actually an October 68 but most definately a 69 model and reg :)

·
Registered
655 Posts
So do you know much about semi auto's Ross? does that make mine one of the first semi's as i am fairly new to semi auto's??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts