Volkszone Forum banner
441 - 460 of 470 Posts

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #441 ·
normally, you would scrape the old lining off before putting on the new one.

however this one is made of cardboard and if you tried to scrape this off the foam, you wouldn't have a shell left.

so that's why i made sure it was extra clean before starting

Attachments

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #446 ·
i then cut a hole in the cover that i had spent several hours making.

then i took the whole thing to pieces :ROFLMAO:

you might be wondering why i did this...if you are, it's because i needed to make sure the cover fitted snuggly so i could then work out where to make the hole

Attachments

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #448 ·
first one finished!

still have the second one to make.

I'm reckoning that now i know how the first one works and they are the same shape and size ( i checked :p) it will take me about 1hr to prep and 2 hrs to hand stitch it shut.

alot of these small things actually take a ridiculously large amount of time. It has taken me a working day to make one sunvisor, but when you finish it and you are happy with it, it's such a great feeling.

unit next time

Cat x

Attachments

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #452 ·
it took a while for the vinyl to turn up, but once it did, i set to work doing a tension test

i do this on every job. every fabric is different, so i always do a tension test check to adjust the tension on the thread. It isn't the most exciting bit of the job, but it is essential. :geek:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #455 ·
sewing the panels together.

i go through a lot of pencils marking out.

these ones are really soft graphite, so you need to get a graphite pencil sharpener.

up until i started doing this, i just thought a pencil sharpener was a pencil sharpener...it's not until you use them all the time that you realise there is a difference and it makes a heck of a difference at sharpening them when you have the right one!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #457 ·
when the arrived i got to use my new osborne tufting needle.

i'm sure i have mentioned it before, but osborne seem to be the makita of the trimming world. £45 for 1 needle!

maybe this needle is lucky though...i didn't manage to stab myself with it like i normally do :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

441 - 460 of 470 Posts