Volkszone Forum banner
641 - 660 of 732 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #641 ·
morning all 😸

hope you have a good week this week. This week for me it's all about suburban accessories, motor bike seats and a roof for a model A!

I am off to look at a job first thing this morning though to give a quote.

anyway....I did it, my part of the Citroen build has been completed. It was hard, i really wanted to throw all my toys out the pram at one point, but i persevered and got through it.

so when i left you last week i had test fit the headliner and had to make some extra panels.

extra panels made (white is not my favourite colour to work with, you so much as look at it and it's got dirt on it!)

Rolling pin Wood Line Font Art

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #642 ·
so then it was a case of taking everything to the car.

i had booked a day to install the headliner, by the end of the day i had it in, it was tight front to back, but the corners were really hacking me off. it's an hours drive each way, so i set off at 7am, got there 8am did 8 till 4.30pm, then an hour home. i didn't have any breaks as i wanted to get it done, but i was so exhausted, i had to go away and come back with fresh eyes in the morning.

this was the end of day one, you can see why i was really hacked off with this

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #643 ·
day 2 on the headliner, i felt like i spent most of the day undoing everything i had already done and just generally chasing my tail. this was the point where i wanted to scream, but i had the customer with me so i couldn't. don't get me wrong, he is a really lovely guy, but it wouldn't have been very professional of me to scream ffs would it! 😹

so, i then changed tacks, i decided to install the wheel arch covers, the grey piece of trim above and then the white piece above that so i could see how it would tie in with the headliner.

turned out i had to carefully unpeel some of the grey piece and cut it back a bit so it was a better line with the door frame.

the white pieces were also being difficult, so i decided to put the top piece of the back seat in, that way i could see if that interfered with anything....it turned out it did, so carefully peeling the vinyl back i managed to shave a bit off. (bear in mind i never saw how this was supposed to fit as it didn't exist on this car)

then i found out that the escutcheon pins i had were too long, that's why they were not going in properly! so i cut them back and added glue aswell.

at the end the second day i worked 8am to 6.30pm, but i got there.
Vehicle Hood Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle door
Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #647 ·
morning all, hope you had a good weekend.

today i thought i'd tell you about the roof i made for a Model A last week.

customer drove from Oxford to Tring for me to do it in a day!

must admit i did find it a bit strange to have a customer with me and watch me all day, but i soon got used to it :)

first thing i did was template for the roof

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Grille
Tire Sky Hood Plant Vehicle

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #648 ·
then it was time to make it and fit it.

my husband always says it's better if you can get the customer to make holes in their own car, so i provided him with a drill and the press snap screws and got him to fit them to the car, i then put the press snaps into the canvas

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood
Cloud Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Plant
Wheel Tire Plant Automotive tire Hood

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #652 ·
my first job was to work out how to attach the bits to the frame. i found out the bits that go in the fibre glass are a kind of expanding screw that is used in plaster boards! so i ordered a pack of every size in screwfix!

next up was to tackle all the repairs to the hood.

first off i re-inforced all the seams. then i removed all the hardware from the hood ie press snaps and turn buckle mounts, before unpicking all of the edging strip. i then re -edged the whole thing, before putting the new window in last.

Wood Office equipment Automotive design Flooring Office supplies
Sewing machine feet Sewing machine needle Sewing machine Sewing Purple

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #653 ·
now here's the thing...when the customer came on Sunday for me to fit it to his car, I had to sort out the hardware on the car first. it turned out all the bits i had bought from screwfix were too long!

Luckily my husband remembered he had a packet of shorter ones that he bought many years ago and they were perfect! so we used them to replace the broken ones and put a blob of fibreglass resin on the back of them just to be sure they would hold.

i forgot to take pics of this, but here is a top tip for you that i learnt many years ago on my city and guilds classic car resto course. whenever you use any filler, always put a stick or your filler spreader on a left over bit, that way you can see when it goes hard and you don't mess up the bit you just filled. as you can see, this has certainly gone hard!

Food Tableware Liquid Cocktail Drinkware

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #656 ·
he was so happy he put his window sticker in straight away.

it probably sounds stupid, but this really made my day. 😸

i really like jobs like these, it kind of looks like i haven't done anything, which is the whole point.

i love making things from scratch, but i also love restoring things too. sometimes you don't always have to replace, you can just repair 😸

until next time

Cat x

ps. he put the sticker in and then said it was at a jaunty angle
😹
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Car Automotive design

·
Registered
123 Posts
Fantastic work as usual.
One day if I ever have any money left over from house jobs, I will get you to re cover the front seats for my Karmann Ghia.

Tony

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #658 ·
Fantastic work as usual.
One day if I ever have any money left over from house jobs, I will get you to re cover the front seats for my Karmann Ghia.

Tony
i'm always here if you need me :giggle:

i have literally spent all of today trying to remove 2 fricken screws in a triumph stag hardtop. eazy outs did not work! we have a guy at the farm who knows everything about everything, if he can't fix it, it can't be fixed, so between him and my husband we managed to get it out when he finished work.

no one told me i would be spending a whole day as a car trimmer trying to remove 2 fecking screws! 😹

641 - 660 of 732 Posts