Volkszone Forum banner
681 - 700 of 710 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #681 ·
before the show i did grown up stuff like finally change my engine foam seal and change the air hose.

i have to say it took me a bit of headscratching with the hose. the new one wouldn't fit and i couldn't work out why. it turns out the insides of the new one are slightly raised compared to the old one! so i ended up carefully shaving it back with a stanley.

as you can see, the old one was shot

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Auto part

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tread

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #684 ·
this is a completed job i recently did.

i was asked to make a fluted headboard, not made one before, but since when has that ever stopped me 😹

i also got to use my air staple gun for the first time! i have always used a manual one, but i splashed out and got an upgrade. it does make me jump when the compressor makes a noise though!

i can't tell you the difference it has already made to my hands and wrists! i just need to get an oil filter for the airline, the one we have is shot and really you need to run oil through it.

Wood Table Rectangle Flooring Floor
Wood Rectangle Flooring Floor Hardwood
Building Wood Floor Motor vehicle Flooring
Motor vehicle Wood Toy Gas Tool
Brown Property Fashion Wood Textile
Brown Couch Picture frame Wood Textile

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #686 ·
happy rainy thursday evening 😹

been working on a new cratch cover for a neighbour. everytime i do these, i forget how big they are!

this cover was a new record for me...i broke 7 seam rippers taking the old cover apart!

but i got there in the end. new cover now installed on the boat, even put extra press snaps in the bottom edge as they always leave it up for their cat to get in and out

Wood Floor Flooring Road surface Tints and shades
Water Plant Boat Sky Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies
Sleeve Grille Hood Denim Bag

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #687 ·
you may have spotted a can of beer in the pic, but i didn't drink it until it was all fitted and i was done with power tools!

apart from fitting the cover this week i have been working on some golf door card repairs, but am currently waiting on some vinyl to turn up.

hopefully have some pics of that next week.

until next time

Cat x

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #688 · (Edited)
hello,

apologies for being late on parade this week, completely lost track of time!

this week i have been repairing some golf door cards. they had holes in that didn't need to be there anymore.

rather than replace the entire thing, i repaired the holes and then replaced the vinyl on the bottoms of the doors with a 4 way stretch vinyl. I have to say, it's the first time i have used 4 way stretch vinyl. i wanted to use it as the bottoms of the doors curved in so many directions, i knew normal vinyl wouldn't cut it.

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Helmet
Brown Sleeve Material property Natural material Denim

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #689 ·
the first step (after cleaning them) was to sort out the hole

i use a special filler that is meant for leather. a bit like with car filler, you put it on in thin layers and sand in between. only difference is, it does not have a hardener, like the red hardener you get with isopon. you dry it with a hairdryer to cure it, i put a timer on for 5 mins and that seems to work for me. (i do not have a hairdryer at home, i just use it for leather work 😹 )

Hand Bird Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #691 ·
the next step is airbrush the colour on.

it is at this point i would like to say how pants my airbrush guns seem to have gotten, to the point i went out and bought a new one, along with some cans of compressed air. After a while the new spray gun started messing about and i used up all my compressed air cans trying to get it to work. i then ended up buying another airbrush gun and more cans of compressed air!

i do this kind of job so infrequently, so it's not normally a problem. but if this was to become a regular thing, i think would splash out and buy the special spray gun compressor, think it's about £160.

Wood Automotive tire Floor Flooring Gas

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #695 ·
Those spittoon steering wheels are great. I had one a long while back and made a trade with my brothers colleague who needed one. Looks really nice in leather.
thanks.

he said the original wheel had that funny foam around it and just twisted in your hand. so he got a mate to do a trade to get this wheel, then i wrapped it 😸

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #696 ·
evening all,

not got alot to show this week.

the last 2 weeks have been mostly sorting out health issues with my mum and dad. Hopefully now my mum is back home things will run a bit smoother.

i've just got the 1 parent in hospital now, hopefully he will be coming home soon.

i spent 2 days this week working on the stag (you may remember i started on that last year and i had to stop due to the hood frame being bent)

it's mostly on now, just not happy with the way the bottom edges sit. there are a lot of variables with this hood.

firstly the frame will never be completely straight, so i have to work with what i have

secondly, it's an after market hood, so you never know what frame it's actually based on and after market stuff has a tendancy to be a bit of a bugger.

so tomorrow i am seeing the customer about the bottom edges. i have thought of a couple of things to try, but i want to run it past him first.

got my daily driver MOT in the morning, then going to head up there and get it finished (fingers crossed)

i do love going to the old air field, it's a shame it will be turned into houses, but i guess things don't stay the same forever.

until next time

Cat x

Sky Cloud Plant Plant community Natural landscape
Hat Fedora Wood Tableware Sun hat
Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle
Hood Grille Automotive design Grey Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #697 ·
hello everyone,

well i managed to get it done and finished this week, just before it started to rain lol!

lots more removal of rivets, pulling and then putting rivets back in again.

it's now as tight as it will go.

really not sure i am a fan of off the shelf upholstery kits, but every time i do one it certainly increases my knowledge

Car Vehicle Automotive parking light Land vehicle Tire

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #698 ·
i also spent a fair bit of time organising my workshop and the space by my van, which was basically a glorified dump! so now i will have room to work on my bus gutters over winter now, plus it looks better when customers come in now.

it's quite silly really, but it has really helped my brain getting this sorted, i've been putting it off for so long, so now i can relax a bit knowing i'm not tripping over stuff all the time

Furniture Shelf Textile Wood Flooring
Automotive parking light Vehicle Tire Car Automotive tail & brake light

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #700 ·
evening all, hope you're enjoying the lovely weather :giggle:

i got the massage table done and he collected at 6pm today.

you can see the difference from before and after. this was done in a contract vinyl. this basically means its safe to use in hospitals and the hospitality industry etc

Product Luggage and bags Bag Wood Tints and shades
Jeans Outerwear Shoe Shoulder Comfort
Font Fashion accessory Metal Personal protective equipment Helmet

681 - 700 of 710 Posts