Volkszone Forum banner
781 - 800 of 824 Posts

· Premium Member
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #783 ·
back onto the dash bits

there was a grab handle, tool box front and the leather dash rail to restore.

using various techniques of re conditioning the leather, binding the damaged fibres back together, re colouring etc i was able to bring the original leather on these parts back to life. ( i couldn't do this for the dash pad as it was too far gone)

next week i'm hoping to make a start on the front seat foam. i have to make them from scratch so that could take me a while!

until next time

Cat x

Bumper Automotive exterior Musical instrument accessory Material property Wood
Wood Sleeve Natural material Hardwood Bumper
Automotive tire Wood Bicycle part Auto part Rim

· Premium Member
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #784 ·
Morning,

I did make a start on the front seat this week, unfortunately I didn't get that far. My dad had lots of appointments this week.

I spent alot of time working out quotes and materials. It never ceases to amaze me how long these things take to do.

I had a couple more jobs booked in which is great. Got a physio appointment booked for Monday afternoon. I hurt my wrist lifting my sewing machine out of a van the other week and everytime I do anything it hurts. I have alot on so I really need to make sure it gets better.

This is where I got to on the jensen. I decided to build the foam in layers, using the old one as a guide. Last time I made it from a solid block and it took forever.

I have now made the first base foam and the cover, but can't actually fit it as my wrist does not want to play ball.

Wood Gas Artifact Rock Linens
Food Ingredient Recipe Cuisine Sheep milk cheese
Comfort Wood Outdoor furniture Rectangle Automotive exterior
Wood Comfort Rectangle Linens Bag
Bag Luggage and bags Comfort Tints and shades Hood

· Premium Member
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #785 ·
Hello,

It was my birthday on Thursday so we went away Friday night to see nightmare before Christmas with bbc orchestra and Danny elfman. It was awesome!

I have made a bit of progress with the jensen seat this week. Hoping tomake more headway tomorrow. My workshop has it's own climate, a bit like santa pod! It's so cold at the moment, it does make it difficult to work.

I did manage to edge a carpet set this week for a repeat customer, he messaged me to see he is very happy, which makes me happy 😊

My Ford focus is going to the garage Tuesday night as the springs at the back have broken. Steve's car is at the garage Friday for new tyres and my dad has another doctors appointment, so I am juggling again next week, but hopefully it's all good

Rectangle Road surface Asphalt Grey Tar

Hood Wood Automotive design Bumper Motor vehicle

Wood Automotive design Drawer Floor Flooring

Textile Wood Automotive design Motor vehicle Bed frame

· Premium Member
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #786 ·
hello,

i hope everyone is doing ok in this cold weather.

when i got up this morning it was -9 in Marsworth! i have been off work today with a cold, to be fair, it's the first one i've had since i went self employed, it's probably because of the weather.

anyway..i got the first seat done and now i'm starting on the second one. i'm hoping to have the second seat finished by end of Sunday, but that depends if my head still feels like cotton wool i guess.

so here is the first seat

oh...and i got my car back yesterday. turned out both rear springs were broken and i needed to new front tyres. when i bought the car it had new lower arms fitted on the front, but apparently because it hadn't been tracked after, it messed up the tyres! so its now been tracked after the new tyres.

Furniture Green Chair Comfort Blue
Photograph Green Furniture Product Comfort

· Premium Member
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #789 ·
Seasons greetings all 🎄

I came down with this cold that's doing the rounds, still full of snot, but my head isn't fuzzy now. 🤣

I got the second seat done and am currently working on the rear seat.

I'm using my airbrush for the rear seat and recolouring it, having lots of issues with making sure the jets are clean on my little airbrush gun. @Brian Burrows can you recommend anything for cleaning it out please?

Jeans Furniture Comfort Green Chair

· Administrator
69,578 Posts
Seasons greetings all 🎄

I came down with this cold that's doing the rounds, still full of snot, but my head isn't fuzzy now. 🤣

I got the second seat done and am currently working on the rear seat.

I'm using my airbrush for the rear seat and recolouring it, having lots of issues with making sure the jets are clean on my little airbrush gun. @Brian Burrows can you recommend anything for cleaning it out please?

View attachment 303793
Hi Cat,

Merry Christmas. :)

It depends what paint was used in it previously - try Zippo lighter fuel (highly refined petrol) to start with. If that doesn't clean it (it should) you may need to use paint thinners.

Good luck.

· Premium Member
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #791 ·
Hi Cat,

Merry Christmas. :)

It depends what paint was used in it previously - try Zippo lighter fuel (highly refined petrol) to start with. If that doesn't clean it (it should) you may need to use paint thinners.

Good luck.
Thanks, it's mainly water based, it just gets stuck in the tiny jets. I will give that a go x

· Premium Member
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #796 ·
Happy new year. Finished off a panel yesterday on the jensen. I'm going in tomorrow and hopefully I'll get the other one done.

The top leather has been restored and recoloured, before changing out the vinyl bottom and stitching back together. Then re attaching to the frame.

Resto work is a mixed bag. I'd say it would be quicker to just replace everything, but there is something cool about restoring 50 year old leather

Art Creative arts Computer keyboard Musical instrument String instrument

Motor vehicle Automotive design Purple Leisure City

Table Purple Bag Tablecloth Desk

· Premium Member
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #798 ·
I ended up making my own mixture of top coat up, which I have written down so I don't forget it for the rest of the job!

The matt was too dull and the satin too shiny. So this is what I ended up with.

Comfort Green Product Couch Automotive design

It is quite a good colour match to the new leather.

These bases were first left over night with special condioner on before stripping them back, repairing the leather, then re colouring and stitching back together.

I know it has wrinkles in it, but the leather is old and this is how it looked when it came apart. This wouldn't happen with new leather, but I kind of like how it incorporates the old and new. But the main thing is, the customer is happy with the pics I've been sending him.

781 - 800 of 824 Posts