Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got me a 72 1302s bug :)
while taking the 45 mile trip home it felt as if i was re-entering the earths atmos when i got to speeds of around 60 mph.

It was mentioned that i should get the wheels balanced when i picked it up as it had just had a wheel swop part of the condition of sale.
Could a few weights stop that heavy shakeing??
Have spoted o/s f tyre is half scuffed/bold would this mean it would be more like wheel alignment then just balance?also the tyres are 3 different sizes im guessing this wont help to :crazy: :crazy:
os front 155 sr 15
os rear 155 sr 15
n/s rear 205 55 r
ns front 165 sr 15

Im searching for a new set of wheels rather then paying out to get these messy things ballanced +new tyres.
If im lucky ill find a set of wheels with good tryes on :)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Okay a few things to sort out...

Yes the vibration at 60mph is common for out of balance wheels, so get them balanced and check none of them are buckled at the same time. Also make sure that the tyre sizes are the same for both fronts, and then the same for both rears having odd tyres can cause major problems for both handling and of course safety.
I would personally have the 155 tyres put onto both fronts and buy either another 165 or 205 for the other rear. But as you say your getting new wheels, so I would get them as soon as you can afford to really, plus if one is bald then it might be illegal so dont run the risk of 3 points and a £60 fine, get it changed or replaced with the new wheels. Hope this helps dude. :)

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers ,yeah dont think the fuzz would be likeing my ns front trye much :moon:
If i can find a set that suits my wallit ill buy them and fit them friday then get them balanced over the weekend,i dont even have a spear to swop with untill then.never mind thanks for ya help :)

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for info :)
Went down local scrap yard and found a 155 / 15 on a beetle wheel
£15 bargin i thought as i needed a wheel also for a spear it will do untill i find some replacements at least the fuzz cant do me now :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts