Volkszone Forum banner

Shocking family secrets!!!

2K views 26 replies 22 participants last post by  fuchs lee 
#1 ·
Just found out at the weekend that my Grandad and Great Uncle are both convicted bank robbers. Details are a little sketchy but it appears that in the late 60's they robbed a Bank, but were later caught and went to prison. The thing is that you would never expect this of my Gramps, he's not one of those gangster types. I'm 30 and it has never been mentioned once, my Aunty made a passing comment. I then had then grill my Mum for details!!!

Any way what's your family secret??????

#4 ·
one of my family members is locked up in a mental institue, almost no one has ever mentioned her, i've asked and i get told it's not your business :confused:
i don't know her name, or how old she is, or even if she's still alive
all i know is she'd be old, late 70's early 80's, my grandmother told me what little i know, but she passed away 9 years ago
i think my dad and uncle know more, but no one is telling
i have no idea why she was put there or how long ago

#5 ·
rubbachicken said:
one of my family members is locked up in a mental institue, almost no one has ever mentioned her, i've asked and i get told it's not your business :confused:
all i know is she'd be old, late 70's early 80's, my grandmother told me what little i know, but she passed away 9 years ago
Thats nice, not only was that poor women mentally ill but her family disowned her and dumped her in a home. Thats the older generation for ya...brush things under the carpet.

I know of no family secrets yet... :eek: :)

#6 ·
My Great-Grandfather was the forerunner of the dodgy car salesman.

He sold horses and often resorted to shoving hot coals up their arses to make them seem to run faster to a prospective purchaser!

Apparently he nearly got found out when one of his horses decided to take a dump during an auction.

#7 ·
rubbachicken said:
I hate that shit- my parents and I don't have any time for family secrets, so I know all the illegitemate kids and such :D

I think it's pathetic when people try and hide things like that.

G
#8 ·
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, very interesting shak!

I'll keep an eye on my wallet next time we are out :eek:

My old man was a mod and used to go out looking for greasers and hippies to beat up. He still hates long hairs to this day.

#9 ·
shaka1976 said:
Just found out at the weekend that my Grandad and Great Uncle are both convicted bank robbers. Details are a little sketchy but it appears that in the late 60's they robbed a Bank, but were later caught and went to prison. The thing is that you would never expect this of my Gramps, he's not one of those gangster types. I'm 30 and it has never been mentioned once, my Aunty made a passing comment. I then had then grill my Mum for details!!!

oh that is way cool! ok, so essentially its wrong, but its dead cool that gramps was a bank robber!

don't know many family secrets, but sometimes people make passing comments that make me think.... hmmmmm.....

#10 ·
rubbachicken said:
thats just mean. i would want to find out and maybe check she is ok. if she has been left with no family input she might need someone to go say hello now and then, and maybe take her something nice. mentally ill or not, its a shame she has been left hidden away and not spoken about.

#11 ·
rubbachicken said:
Chances are she was an unmarried mother institutions up and down the country are rammed full of old women in similar situations and they have simply become so institutionalised that they could never be released back into society.

#14 ·
shaka1976 said:
The thing is that you would never expect this of my Gramps, he's not one of those gangster types.

It's the one's you least expect you've got to watch.

Not really a secret but definitely not some thing to be proud of, but some of my Irish family has been shall we say a bit naughty in the past.

#15 ·
cousin is related to percy toplis , a famous (?) deserter during ww1 who was then shot by the brits
plus
my great grandad connell went to war (ww1) after just marrying great grandma . went missing presumed dead . she remarried to a mr hardman . had child (my grandad ) . after the war great grandad connell comes back after being in a pow camp. mr hardman leaves and he brings up the child as his own . this only came out in 1970 two years after dad got married . aparently mr hardman was still alive when mum and dad married ( dad was gutted ) . so mr hardman is my real great grandad and im not a real connell . now was this the real story or did the elders in the family cover for my great grandma who liked a bit of cock . ;)

#18 ·
WillBug said:
Orby1 - She probably has some wild idea that you'd do something silly like blab it on a website to a bunch of people you only know because of a car maker.
Haha.
:lol:

before my mum and dad got together my mum was engaged to someone else, she broke up with him.. and he shot himself :eek: i found out through my mother in law, who lived near my mum and can remember it all happening.

#19 ·
I don't think there's any huge secrets - but that may be because they're so secret I wouldn't know! :lol: A couple of illegitimate kids in the family tree passed off as a sister and a nephew, that's all I think.

I did discover my grandad trained as a sniper in the marines but he won't talk about it as he hates the idea now. So I'll never get to know about that. And a great uncle apparently had to bulldoze bodies into graves at Austwitch (sp). He would never, never talk about it at all. He's been long dead and I never met him.

#20 ·
Nic B-C said:
So does my dad and hes never told me which pisses me off, i only found out when my brother had one as well at 16! :eek:
Thats pretty common, my mums first husband had kids that they didn't tell my half brothers and sister about till their Grandma died. And then it was only cos she'd left them some money in her will. And they were all in their 20's by then!

#21 ·
Argh, don't get me started on family secrets! :mad:

My parents have always lead us to belive they're married - except they're not. Which wouldn't be a big deal if we knew - it wouldn't matter at all. But they've lead us to belive that they were - even with a 'wedding dress' and my Mum changed her name. We only found out when at a family reunion type thing when I was about 10 - this crazy lady who was related to my dad somehow came up to me and my 2 sisters and said "don't you think your mum and dad should get married? Me and him are the only ones in the family who aren't married!" and we sorta thought "hmmm... crazy lady... probably wasn't told they were married or something cos she wasn't invited to the wedding...." anyways - last year at my Dad's bday my sisters and I were talking about secrets etc (I'm now 20 and they're both 19), and Abi and I both remebered the crazy lady - except she confronted my Dad about it a couple years ago and he confessed. I didn't dare ask - I thought if I didn't then it wouldn't be true etc. Turns out Flea didn't remember the crazy lady.... she found out at 19 and cried all the way home in my car. I felt so guilty!

It's not the fact they're not married which upset us - it's the fact that they lied that they were.

Also when I was about 12 we found out that our 2 older brothers weren't our full brothers - they had a different Dad. Again we'd been lead to believe that our Dad was theirs. Also one of my brothers was sent away when I was little (about 6) - we never saw him again, nor did anyone speak about him. We never wanted to ask what happened to him cos we didn't want to upset our Mum. Steve found out what happened when my other brother told him in the pub once - apparently he'd been stealing money from my grandparents, parents, friends etc so they sent him to live with his Dad. Since then he's been in jail a few times for robbery and attempted kidnap! :eek: So I'm glad I don't know him really! He's tried to get in contact with us a few times, but only Abi has spoken to him. I don't really want to have contact with him - brother or not.

I don't know if there are any other secrets or not. I guess I might never find out. All i know is that when you find things like this out, no matter how small, it gives you a terrible feeling, you loose trust in your family and don't know where to turn.

I've learnt from this, and when I have kids, i'll never keep any secrets from them or lie to them about things like this.

#23 ·
When in the army i was a bit of a male tart ,2 girls on the go at the same time 1 at home 1 at camp sort of thingy or just shagging around ,my mates at home and there girlfriends/wifes used to call me jimmy the bastard this was 20 years ago .
5 years ago when my mum passed away i was talking to my dad when he let it slip that he and my mum got married when i was 18 at gretna on route to my passing out parade ,couldnt believe it had done the whole silver wedding aniversary thing and every thing
had to laugh cause all my mates wifes had been wright all along ,also have a half sister that i treat as a sister but have a half brother in ireland that i have never met all i know is his names Robby

#24 ·
Got another one!! A relative who was female don't know who, apparantly tried to commit suicide by jumping off a bridge into the path of a moving train. She was unsuccessful but the train did manage to cut off her legs and a hand. Think they locked her up in a loony bin after that.

Anymore out there???

G
#25 ·
shaka1976 said:
Got another one!! A relative who was female don't know who, apparantly tried to commit suicide by jumping off a bridge into the path of a moving train. She was unsuccessful but the train did manage to cut off her legs and a hand. Think they locked her up in a loony bin after that.

Anymore out there???
Fuckin hell Shak!!!

I think I'll give dinner with your family a miss! :crazy: :incheek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.