Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a result of my aftermarket pulley rubbing too close to the alternator front plate. The lip around the pin has been sheared off. Pulley now sits right on top of generator.
Any ideas how to get around this? or will i have to replace the generator.

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
Alternator or generator? Either way try and find a local starter/alternator/dynamo reconditioner. They are still out there and will fix you up for cheaper than a quality replacement.

·
Registered
912 Posts
A reconditioner is the best person to ask wether this needs replacing or not. There's usually 1 in every town/city. It looks knackered to me

·
Premium Member
8,907 Posts
Hard to tell with all the grease and debris covering the damaged area.
If the main shaft ("pin") still has a good keyway slot, and spins smoothly, and doesn't have side-to-side play or up & down play, or in & out play, the Alternator may be salvageable.
However, I'm inclined to agree with Garrick Clark, a local reconditioner would be best to advise on that, and, it does look knackered to me too.

·
Premium Member
8,907 Posts
Another question, can I replace the front plate of the generator
Yes, relatively easy once you have taken the unit out of the car and have it on a workbench, the whole thing comes apart.
However, I've not seen the End plate sold as a spare part, you may be able to raid a serviceable front endplate off an otherwise scrap Alternator, if you can find one cheap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts