Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to protect the channels and floors on my bug.
I've stripped off most of the old underseal on one channel coz it was flakey. The situation I'm faced with is do I now strip the paint off most of the channel so that I can POR15 it (POR15 won't adhere that well to paint or shiny surfaces), or do I go and buy a different product that doesn't need bare metal or rust to adhere to?

Any advice appreciated :)

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
Personally I've found if you just roughen up the surface, POR 15 will stick to it - even bare metal.

Suppose it really depends if the paint is hiding anything underneath though.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AngelVenomous said:
Personally I've found if you just roughen up the surface, POR 15 will stick to it - even bare metal.

Suppose it really depends if the paint is hiding anything underneath though.
The paint is hiding nothing - the channel is decent. The paint looks like the original paint so I'm a bit reluctant to wire brush it back to bare metal, but I really need to replace the underseal I've scraped off with something, and I have bought the POR15 already.
I think I will do that though coz POR15 is so good.

Thanks for your reply, AV :)

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
Yeah, in that case go for it!
Just a bit of roughing up with some sandpaper should make it stick to the existing paint.

I do have to say I'm not convinced with their "Metal Ready" stuff as you seem to use loads of it for just a small area and roughing up smooth metal seems to work better IMHO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts