Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
78,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a great believer in the BBC and licence fee.

But should they be making things like Eastenders?

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
I dont watch it but i dont think they would scrap a popular show (then again...) , dont really pay much attention to the soaps as such. Watch the odd one now and again but thats about it...

[Slightly off topic]
I do think that they should make stuff for the UK only though (as we pay the licence fee, nowhere else) i am sure i have seen it on a few satellites (intended for the rest of europe) a news service (free to view) and a BBC Prime service (encrypted and not intended for UK viewing i think ... no idea of content on that one) Could be wrong on this one though, will have to check on it.
[/slightly off topic]

:)

·
Registered
11,610 Posts
Definately should NOT be canned! It's the only opportunity I get to be a smart arse and say to anyone who'll listen 'you can see London City Airport runway' on the opening closing credits.

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
Sad...but im a fan.....but the last 12 months has been crap......big time......they have no ideas???????

New writers i say!!!!!!!

·
Registered
21,468 Posts
i think they need to stop wasting money on dancing on ice (in any form to attract ratings) torchwood and dr who

that'll save a couple of mil to start ;)

·
Registered
78,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yellow_spider said:
I do think that they should make stuff for the UK only though
oh I can't agree... the BBC abroad is a key part of what makes it special

·
Registered
78,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mickB(akanogovws) said:
i think they need to stop wasting money on dancing on ice (in any form to attract ratings) torchwood and dr who

that'll save a couple of mil to start ;)
dr who is a world seller... it's made big money

but yeah the dancing on ice is similar to Eastenders IMHO... not that I'm a TV snob... I like my share of Sky TV crap... but I pay my money and make my choice

·
Registered
78,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nefarious said:
Why? Because you don't like it?

Millions of others do... personally it always makes me want to slit my wrists... but the viewing figures say that not everyone shares the same view as me...
I've watched Eastenders on and off over the years.

So no not because I don't like it.

I'm VERY far from being the first person to question if the BBC should be making a 'soap'... the clue being in the title: 'soap'... a programme financed by advertizing... and the viewing figures are in decline.

·
Registered
78,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
maddog said:
Sad...but im a fan.....but the last 12 months has been crap......big time......they have no ideas???????

New writers i say!!!!!!!
that's what started this

my wife has always been more of a fan than me... but she fucking hates it at the moment and has not been watching recently

and we were predicting a sudden tabloid story: 'all writers to be sacked'

which got me onto... "well should they be making it anyway?"

·
Registered
78,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yellow_spider said:
Not quite sure what you mean by that Julian :confused:
the World Service has been cited so many times as the only source of decent info during revolutions etc...

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
peelo said:
the World Service has been cited so many times as the only source of decent info during revolutions etc...
Ah, i see. :)

I have no objections to the world radio services.

EDIT... This "BBC Prime" i was on about is an encrypted "BBC entertainment" channel on the hotbird satellite (probably intended for some other parts of europe) .. lol they are probably getting all our repeats :crazy:

·
walking the black dog
65,372 Posts
Viewing figures for Eastenders have been falling off quite rapidly. Probably a summertime malaise, the numbers may increase in the wintertime. I personally do not watch any soap opera's, but I am sure they provide entertainment for many others. Although I don't pay for the soap opera's I don't watch on ITV, or Sky channels

As Peelo says, the World Service has been a beacon of truth in all manner of far flung places. About the only place where you can tune in to hear the truth (or information about anywhere) when marooned in the USA.

·
Registered
14,781 Posts
No!The tottie is better looking than on Corrie!!! :incheek:

I don't think it should can Eastenders.I consider that it is a good vehicle to "educate and inform" in the BBC stylee. :)

·
Registered
21,468 Posts
i looked at sky as an alternative to freeview + top-up tv which we have at he mo'.it would cost me £36.00 per month (after the 3 month intro offer) to have either sport + what we have in freeview,or movies + freeview, to me £36.00 per month is waaaay too much considering monday to friday our tv is locked on normal with neighbours,simpsons,holyoaks,emerdale,corrie,eastenders etc etc :rolleyes: (x a million)

but yes the beeb do waste money on shite tv ;)

·
Registered
78,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
dogfood said:
it is a good vehicle to "educate and inform" in the BBC stylee. :)
do you? I know it's part of their mandate... but never really seen it come through in Enders the way it does in the Archers :lol:

·
Registered
78,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mickB(akanogovws) said:
i looked at sky as an alternative to freeview + top-up tv which we have at he mo'.it would cost me £36.00 per month (after the 3 month intro offer) to have either sport + what we have in freeview,or movies + freeview, to me £36.00 per month is waaaay too much considering monday to friday our tv is locked on normal with neighbours,simpsons,holyoaks,emerdale,corrie,eastenders etc etc :rolleyes: (x a million)

but yes the beeb do waste money on shite tv ;)
we pay £31 a month for sky plus family package... so no sport or movies... never watched them when we did have them

1 - 20 of 48 Posts