Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to upgrade the brakes on my 57 oval to dual circuit.
Is this just a case of swopping out the master cyinder and replumbing the pipes?
Or do i need to change anything else. :crazy:
Does the master cylinder bolt straight in?

·
Premium Member
8,866 Posts
Why ?
Straight master cylinder swap will not give any improvement in braking.
Dual circuit master cylinders cost twice as much as the single circuit one.
You'll have a lot of unsightly plumbing to fit a dual circuit fluid reservoir and the feed pipes. But yes, it should bolt straight in, the brake lines are all in the same places.

·
Registered
6,282 Posts
Why?!

Isnt it obvious, if one brake pipe/cylinder fails on a single circuit its good bye to all brakes, with a dual system you only lose front or rear.

Yes, it bolts straight on!

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I'm interested in the replies to this because I probably have to do the same thing too.
I've got to replace the master cylinder in a 66 bug (oringally a single circuit master cylinder).
As it happens I have a brand new boxed dual circuit master cylinder left over from my previous bug, so it seems like a good idea to use that, especially because it will be a safer upgrade.

So for me it's about extra safety, and I have the dual circuit master cylinder here already.

What's the difference with the reservoir then? Anyone got any pics to show?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
leec said:
Why?!

Isnt it obvious, if one brake pipe/cylinder fails on a single circuit its good bye to all brakes, with a dual system you only lose front or rear.

Yes, it bolts straight on!
My reason exactly !
One of saftey to be shortly followed by a disc brake conversion :D
Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
168 Posts
1971CHOPTOP said:
saftey to be shortly followed by a disc brake conversion
Wouldn't it simply be a case of getting a complete dual-circuit brakeline set for a torsion bar/swing axle bug and swapping them over? After all, we know you can put a later pan under an earlier body so the floorpans can't be much different can they?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts