Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else remember skate city?
Think it opened in 1977 maybe 78 but for the life of me I can't find any information anywhere.
Only interested as I was there on the opening day and had my picture taken with 4 mates by the Times - they sent us all a copy and I've just found it in a box after all these years.
Thought I'd do a search to try and find out what date it was so I could write it on the back and not forget but nada.

All five of us bunked school to go and the following morning we all got called to the headmasters office - when he asked us if we were all Ill the day before and we said yes he proceeded to show us the picture on the front page of the Times - bugger, caught red handed.

Orb

·
Registered
6,291 Posts
orb666 said:
Does anyone else remember skate city?
Think it opened in 1977 maybe 78 but for the life of me I can't find any information anywhere.
Only interested as I was there on the opening day and had my picture taken with 4 mates by the Times - they sent us all a copy and I've just found it in a box after all these years.
Thought I'd do a search to try and find out what date it was so I could write it on the back and not forget but nada.

All five of us bunked school to go and the following morning we all got called to the headmasters office - when he asked us if we were all Ill the day before and we said yes he proceeded to show us the picture on the front page of the Times - bugger, caught red handed.

Orb
Yeah... just off of Tooley Street, near HMS Belfast. I am pretty certain that it was opened in 1987. The opening was a little delayed though...

·
Banned
26,771 Posts
I was there too. went a few times but wasnt open for that long.

Was a massive site with coloured runs blue black red and yellow from memory. Also had an indoor part as well.

long run through middle, pool tube thing on left

Still got the run badges somewhere

·
Registered
6,291 Posts
Luddite said:
Yeah, I remember that one! Only went a coupla times - I liked the Nottingham bowl better. Didn't get badges tho! Reckon it was at least 77 meself, maybe earlier?

You guys checked out... http://www.middle-age-shred.com
Not earlier... in 76/77 we were exclusively skating street around Festival Hall... remember all the old school street skating tricks... walk the dog, flik flak, endless 360's till you got dizzy, nose wheelie, tail wheelie, simple fakies and kickturns ... :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
we had a skateboard exhibition at granby halls in leicester about 76/7.fantastic.bowls,half pipes.all the yanks were there including stacey peralta(sp?) still got my 70's laminated deck with kryptonics.my kids ride it now,heaven help 'em if they leave it outside!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts