Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i'm not hugely into skateboarding but i wouldnt mind something to cruise around on in the car parks of dub meets and other things as i get a bit more happy with skateboarding. Now i dont want any modern decks, love the old school ones, and i'm looking at one but i dunno if it's any good.

It's a lotus board with standard trucks and wheels, now i know that the bearings on these are useless (cant remeber if their open or closed bearings, one of them, but i know there no good) so i'm guessing this can be resolved by changing the trucks? If so what trucks would you recommend, and also wht type of wheels would you recommend? It's got the huge fat ones on purely for skating, which look really nice, but are there any other better makes of wheels?

I'm also guessing aplastic board is ok for cruising but not other things, so after getting posture and techniques right on this one i might upgrade to a wooden board, and just stick this one in the back of my car for cruise carparks and just something to cover my parcel shelf :D :hangloose

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
a lotus plastic board!!!!! :eek:. jeass! my sister had one of those. just get yourself a modern longboard if its cruiseing your after ;)

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FBJ said:
a lotus plastic board!!!!! :eek:. jeass! my sister had one of those. just get yourself a modern longboard if its cruiseing your after ;)
I dont really want a modern longboard, i want an old shaped 70's board, wooden ones from that time seem very expensive and i thought this board might be ok for learning on. There's always santa cruz boards i guess :hangloose

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
retro cool!go for it,run some big chunky-ass wheels too!,my snakeboard never leaves the back of my vw(unless im on it)cos you never know when might get the urge or find an ace place to skate!yeah! :hangloose :hangloose

·
Registered
395 Posts
Im take it your Lotus board is a 70s board and really narrow? I would suggest you retire it to nothing more than display if so as you will find it hard to cruise around comfotably as they really are narrow and short. The wheels should be good for carpark activity though and you can change the bearing easyly if they are knackerd. I would take alook at ebay and as there are tons of late 80s /early 90s setups for grabbs really cheap with some minor wear. these boards are around 9"s wide with trucks to match and will be easy to roll around more in control. At this point i should try and make a sale as i have a skateboard shop in Harlow but if you just wont a booter and are not interested in modern tricks i wont even try. By the way whats stamed on the wheels?

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LJ60'cal pickup said:
retro cool!go for it,run some big chunky-ass wheels too!,my snakeboard never leaves the back of my vw(unless im on it)cos you never know when might get the urge or find an ace place to skate!yeah! :hangloose :hangloose
It's already running chunky ass wheels on it, there polyurethane wheels. But i'm still uninformed on the bearings, i read on a nother forum t hat the bearings on standard lotus boards were useless, so i was wondering if it's possible to swwap the trucks for a set that are better and more free rolling. but yeah that's generally the idea, so when i find a big hill i can go down it on the board and fall off at the end :D :hangloose

i could never get the hang of those snakeboards, you have to move your legs dont you?

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hemroid said:
Im take it your Lotus board is a 70s board and really narrow? I would suggest you retire it to nothing more than display if so as you will find it hard to cruise around comfotably as they really are narrow and short. The wheels should be good for carpark activity though and you can change the bearing easyly if they are knackerd. I would take alook at ebay and as there are tons of late 80s /early 90s setups for grabbs really cheap with some minor wear. these boards are around 9"s wide with trucks to match and will be easy to roll around more in control. At this point i should try and make a sale as i have a skateboard shop in Harlow but if you just wont a booter and are not interested in modern tricks i wont even try. By the way whats stamed on the wheels?
I wouldnt mind a purchase but i aint got the dollar, i wouldnt mind doing tricks, eventually, like going onto a half pipe or something, but i thought seeing as this board was so cheap it'd be good to just sling in the back of the car. And yes you are correct in saying it is a small board, and i cant see any stampings on the wheels

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
i currently run a custom built longboard (5ft) on original calli slaloms and original ojs with modern abec 5 bearings :)

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FBJ said:
ok then this is an old skool board ;) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-SKATE...ryZ16264QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
or do a search for "vintage skateboard" and build your own, there good stuff out there. steer away from the plastic crap though, its rubbish and not a good way to start. belive me my first "skateboard" was an old beeno annual bolted to a rollerskate! :D
hmmmm the pro am, saw that earlier, looks the dogs bollox! :hangloose

but £15 postage, ouchy :incheek:

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
neil_1821 said:
It's already running chunky ass wheels on it, there polyurethane wheels. But i'm still uninformed on the bearings, i read on a nother forum t hat the bearings on standard lotus boards were useless, so i was wondering if it's possible to swwap the trucks for a set that are better and more free rolling. but yeah that's generally the idea, so when i find a big hill i can go down it on the board and fall off at the end :D :hangloose

i could never get the hang of those snakeboards, you have to move your legs dont you?
hmm,pass dont know so much about old skool boards(just look cool!)aye an upper body,its easy when you get the hang of it,on land snowboarding basicly,speaking of hills weve overtaken tractors n mopeds on our boards! :lol: :hangloose

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
FBJ said:
i currently run a custom built longboard (5ft) on original calli slaloms and original ojs with modern abec 5 bearings :)
nothing like old skool wheels and fresh abecs!i used to run dodo's by deathbox(too small now)now got santa cruz ones from the 80's(i think) :cool: :hangloose

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
if it were me i would get a late 80's early 90's set up. Not too long back i sold my old Powell peralta ray barbee deck complete with gullwing trucks, roach pads, early 90's santa cruz wheels etc - i only got £30 for it on ebay :(

·
Registered
11,291 Posts
These are the guys to talk to mate www.lushlongboards.com up in Sheffield (I should get commission by now I'm sure :lol: ) They're into dubs to so that also helps ;) Nice bunch of guys and very helpful.

I have one of their old Kilima boards and love it to bits. Fast and carves a treat :cool:

OP

·
I'm not an addict... honest!
4,525 Posts
FBJ said:
ok then this is an old skool board ;) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-SKATE...ryZ16264QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
or do a search for "vintage skateboard" and build your own, there good stuff out there. steer away from the plastic crap though, its rubbish and not a good way to start. belive me my first "skateboard" was an old beeno annual bolted to a rollerskate! :D
Hehe I used to have that board about 15yrs ago ! Can't remember what happened to it.

My deck now spends most of its time in the back of my van, ready for such an occasion to get it out.. Im a little out of practice :rolleyes:

Adrian

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
neil_1821 said:
QUOTE]
Bearings should be a straight swap... but there was a lot of bollocks spouted about bearings back in the day. Very poor bearings, especially open bearings were crappy, but decent bearings like ANY SKF for example are fine on a skateboard wheel. The highest price highest quality bearings were built to a spec to do 50,000rpm non stop for 5 years solid or something... built for engineering machinery, not skateboard wheels. Emperors clothes... :)

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OP said:
These are the guys to talk to mate www.lushlongboards.com up in Sheffield (I should get commission by now I'm sure :lol: ) They're into dubs to so that also helps ;) Nice bunch of guys and very helpful.

I have one of their old Kilima boards and love it to bits. Fast and carves a treat :cool:

OP
Found that site before, got some nice boards and parts on there, i particually like the race board series they've got running, some nice boards :hangloose

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Yes, Lush do some way sweet retro short longboards which would fit the bill. Back in the day, sorry to say it, but the Lotus was a bit crap. It was a kids toy rather than a skateboard, you'd be better off selling it and using the money towards a good modern or one of the vintage wooden decks that come up on eBay. Decent trucks/bushings are the key IMHO.

Bearings - my pet subject (and being a design engineer I do actually know about these things)! DON'T get suckered in to the ABEC arms race. The ABEC rating is all to do with bearing accuracy and tolerance, particularly runout. Your wheels are not moulded to any particular tolerance, and the bearings have to be a sliding fit on the shaft in order that the wheels can be changed. This will negate ANY benefit of higher ABEC rating. It is not a measure of performance. Any named 608 bearing with an ABEC/ISO/DIN rating will be suitable. More important than the ABEC rating is the shielding. Although neoprene shields/seals do cause additional drag on the inner race, I would choose these over metal shields, as they keep the weather/grit out and the oil in. You can remove the shields, clean and relubricate, but on eight bearings this is a pain in the butt, and full sets of generic skate shop bearings are pennies these days.

You MUST get one, awesome fun; but get a good 'un or you'll not enjoy it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts