Volkszone Forum banner

skis - any one know anything about them?

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  67zippy 
#1 ·
hello,

i am off to wee bonnie scotland with my kids for a week skiing (first time since i was at school although i have done the milton keynes slopes a few times and i can still ski) so i have been hunting tinterweb for some skis and found a pair of head fiero's for £5 i bought them. They are 190cms long i know very little here but i remember being told that they should be about the same length as your height. I am 178 cm's tall.

Question 1 - are these too long?

Question 2 - what is stopping me just cutting 10cms of the back of them?

cheers in advance

#2 ·
they're pretty long ski's by todays standards. most are shorter than the height of the person using them. and have both ends upturned.
i wouldn't be cutting anything off the back of them just incase it had implications of the ski's disintergating whilst bombing down the slopes. hazard to others as well as yourself possibly.
my only advice is get on the slopes and use them see if they are ok.

if they're not then you can always man up and hire a snowboard hire a pair from the slopes. :D

when and what range are you heading to up here? i'll be on the cairngorms on saturday.

#4 ·
Nothing wrong with long skis, these things go round and round in trends anyway. They're more stable the longer they are. I used to use ones way longer than I am tall.

Main thing is make sure they are set up right for your ability, weight and boot size.

#5 ·
Longer skis will usually run faster, but be more difficult to control. The shorter more modern ones are usually parabolic (have a much more pronounced curve on the esges) and are a lot easier to carve turns with. You might get on fine with the ones you have, but you'd probably get on better with the parabolics.

Or get a snowboard, much more fun ;)

#6 ·
hummmmm .... i guess i can just give them a go, they were only a £5 so nothing lost really. As for the snowboard option..... well, i have given it a go but... i helicoptered down the slope and shredded my knees.... i i should ghive it another go really.

so the general consensus is not to hack 10cms off the back with my die grinder then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.