Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just in the middle of watching csi new york and my sky box turned itself off and won't turn back on.
annoying as i was taping messaih on bbc1 too.
is this a software update thing?

i've unplugged the box, took out the card, left it a min. now plugged back in, switched on, put card in and its working again.

i've had mine for nearly 3 years and normally behaves but just curious to why it does this occassionally.

can any sky peeps help? :)

·
Saddest VZi'er 2009
5,717 Posts
next door neighbour ;):D

*edit.... just noticed my post count is 666 :eek:
perhaps there's something more sinister going on :lol:

·
Registered
78,035 Posts
i was just in the middle of watching csi new york and my sky box turned itself off and won't turn back on.
annoying as i was taping messaih on bbc1 too.
is this a software update thing?

i've unplugged the box, took out the card, left it a min. now plugged back in, switched on, put card in and its working again.

i've had mine for nearly 3 years and normally behaves but just curious to why it does this occassionally.

can any sky peeps help? :)
have you turned it right off... as in switch off at the wall and then on again... then you'll have to wait two minutes before it will let you turn it on

if that doesn't work then do it again which holding down the 'i' button

·
Registered
12,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It might be haunted, you could have a polterskyst.
:eek::lol:

have you turned it right off... as in switch off at the wall and then on again... then you'll have to wait two minutes before it will let you turn it on

if that doesn't work then do it again which holding down the 'i' button
yeah its working fine now. just didn't know why it had a hissy fit. i don't have any other tv reception, the results of broken sky could be catastrophic :eek::lol:

·
Registered
12,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey there

press the services button,

got to the system setup or sky+ setup

find auto standby then turn it to off

save new settings

job done, it should never turn itself off again
cool thanks :D

it had only been on for 10 mins tho, would that be auto standby?

·
Registered
10,669 Posts
Auto standby only goes into standby early hours of the morning if there has been no activity with box for a while, and it will give you a warning like "YOUR BOX IS ABOUT TO SWITCH TO STANDBY press back up to cancel " and will stay on screen for 1 minute while you fumble around to find the remote down the side of the sofa :lol:

if it does it again , turn off at plug socket hold down the backup button (on the box not the remote) and turn on at plugg again while still holding down the back up button , hold down till all the lights on the front of the box come on, you get a message on your screen saying updating system software , can take ages although it says 10mins , when its done the box will automatically go to standby , wait a few minutes then turn it on , but be warned this can be a kill or cure , if your box is on the way out it wont come out of standby and you will need a engineer out to replace the box ;)

·
Registered
12,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Auto standby only goes into standby early hours of the morning if there has been no activity with box for a while, and it will give you a warning like "YOUR BOX IS ABOUT TO SWITCH TO STANDBY press back up to cancel " and will stay on screen for 1 minute while you fumble around to find the remote down the side of the sofa :lol:

if it does it again , turn off at plug socket hold down the backup button (on the box not the remote) and turn on at plugg again while still holding down the back up button , hold down till all the lights on the front of the box come on, you get a message on your screen saying updating system software , can take ages although it says 10mins , when its done the box will automatically go to standby , wait a few minutes then turn it on , but be warned this can be a kill or cure , if your box is on the way out it wont come out of standby and you will need a engineer out to replace the box ;)
thanks for that.
its not a common thing for my box to misbehave but i know that there a lot bof you sky bods on here so thought i'd ask.
i do have the sky box plan thing where they should fix it/replace etc although i think i will be cancelling that when its due later in the year. i could have bought a bloody new box with how much i'm paying for it :lol:
i'll copy what you've said anyway, saves me ringing sky up if it does fix it :D

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
26,448 Posts

The auto standby is a feature they brought in about 6 months ago. I put up with it for a while then found the menu option to turn it off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.