Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had call from converted mike from his laptop to my landline.

Quality was good and he said very cheap considering he is in mexico :rolleyes:

Checked it out on web and it's a free download with free calls to other users.

Question - are any of you using or familiar with this and what are your thoughts please.

·
Registered
20,445 Posts
toooldforthis said:
Just had call from converted mike from his laptop to my landline.

Quality was good and he said very cheap considering he is in mexico :rolleyes:

Checked it out on web and it's a free download with free calls to other users.

Question - are any of you using or familiar with this and what are your thoughts please.
We use it a great deal in the company. We have 2,000 people scattered across about 150 countries and we use Skype between oursleves

Usually works very well.

Also we use web cams alongside Skype so you can see the ugly mug alongside

·
Registered
911 Posts
i have got skype on my pc, but i think you will find to call a landline you have to pay, if you get a headset and some of your friends and family have headsets then u can talk over skype from pc to pc for free..... its quite good but not enough people i know have the headsets be able to do this, i think you can chat like messenger aswell hope this helps

·
Registered
600 Posts
Yeah we use it a lot at work for speaking to the factories in the far east - out for nowt :crazy: :D

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I use it alot aswell for work - I have a built in webcam and mike on my laptop, great to talk to customers, and as long as they are on your contact list, it's free - but when calling landlines and mobiles it's much cheaper than BT or anyone else - lets all get Skype!

I love it!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all

I think he said he would have to pay for the landline call but at a fraction of normal rate.

Do the headsets have any particular type of connection into the pc - usb or whatever? Might need to invest if the trips become more regular

·
Registered
600 Posts
you can get skype phones from PC world the headsets just fit into the back of yer PC X2 jack points.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I use it.

If you're calling another skype registered user it's free & if not you can buy 'skype credit' which minimises the costs of calls both in this country & abroad.

There's also an instant messaging facility along the same lines as msn.

I just use a microphone headset & my usual p.c. speakers.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks

Looks like a lunch time walk to pc world :)

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Not much cheaper compared to other VoIP like Sipgate etc.

Buy a Tesco VoIP phone for a tenner (£5 call credit) and download the Skype drivers etc. Simple. With Skype you get an 056 no., which is expensive if others call you on the number, with Tesco, Sipgate and some others you get an 01xxx number like your home fixed line number, so cheap/free from BT/bundled minutes mobiles.

·
Registered
20,445 Posts
artist said:
Not much cheaper compared to other VoIP like Sipgate etc.

Buy a Tesco VoIP phone for a tenner (£5 call credit) and download the Skype drivers etc. Simple. With Skype you get an 056 no., which is expensive if others call you on the number, with Tesco, Sipgate and some others you get an 01xxx number like your home fixed line number, so cheap/free from BT/bundled minutes mobiles.
You are right - within the Voice over IP suppliers they are similar - but some of the big American companies like Vonage have plans to extend their coverage and service big time.
I think you might find some players will come into the market that we consider left feld - like Singapore telecom (or whatever they are called)

Our internal coms team are hold back until they can see what is happening.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again - I'll look into the tesco phones as well :D

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
Ive got and its free to use with others..........nice one i say!!! :D

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
You need to realise that this is the next big "land grab" in the world of the internet. Companies expanding very fast, too fast in many cases. Customer service is not something they are often good at.

Great as a second/third line (after yr BT line and yr mobile), but not yet reliable enough to run a business on. Call quality varies, and it can die completely, perhaps (but not often) for hours.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
You can actually get an 02xxxx number with Skype. Costs Ä30 per year. Calls to a landline are about Ä0.02 per min, so next to nothing really.

Me and autohausdolby use skype-skype now. It's saving me a fortune, and we can talk for as long as we want for free rather than just for a couple of minutes when I was calling from my mobile. My bill for the last month was £120 ( :eek: ) but should be back down to £40ish this month.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts