Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need some advice! in the very near future my bug is gonna be slammed on to her back side, what i am after knowing is wheather there is anything i need to do with relation to the gearbox etc etc?? i have heard of people "highering" their gearboxes, i assume to stop them from scrapping. is there anything else like this that i should be thinking of??

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
Depends on your definiation of slammed. A gearbox only really needs to be raised if you're going to have the back end about an inch off the ground. Even then, if it's a weekend only car you might possibly get away without it. Running this low without a raised gearbox puts stress on the fulcrum plates and can lead to damage however from other people's experiences, this seems to be hit and miss as to whether or not it happens.

You can go seriously low without raising the gearbox though. You should be turning your attentions to how much clearance you have between the springplates and the upper chassis stop. This gap will be minimal and could cause the suspension to bottom out. You may need to grind it down a bit to make some more room.

The bump stops will also need either trimming down or removing completely.

You may well need shorter shocks too.

Also, keep an eye on the rear inner wing U shape bracket where it joins the chassis rear arm. Depending on you tyre choice, it may rub here which is quite sharp.

Oh and another thing, check the clearance between the heat exchangers and the axles as it's possible for the axles to bash against the join with the plastic heater tube.

Finally, if it's really low you may want to remove the rear jacking points as they can catch on things and will test the strength of your heater channels and rear quarters.

As I say, it all depends on your definition of slammed. How many splines down are you planning on going? :hangloose

·
25 character limit is cra
6,631 Posts
Use VW Bus reduction boxes upside down - you know it makes sense :hangloose

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers tomarse!! as you can prob tell this is my first veedub! not sure how many splines but i am looking for about an inch ride height, looks like i am gonna be doing some griding :crazy: i was planning on attempting to fit some 17inch wheels, from the sounds of it, you seem to know your veedubs, any suggestions??

thanks again for the info!

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
An inch of ground clearance at the back is seriously low and won't be an easy thing to get. You'll also need to get the front to match which will take some work. If I were you, I'd spend some time browsing the "low rides" thread in the reader's rides section to see what others have done.

Running 17s on this set up is going to be a royal pain in the arse. I don't know much about wheels but larger, aftermarket wheels tend to be very wide and have a silly offset which will only add to problems. Also, you'd need really low profile tyres which will barely touch the ground with the rear camber... unless you raised the gearbox shit loads and/or converted from swingaxle to "IRS".

It'd take tonnes of work to do all this and I'm not definate it'd possible to pull it off in all honesty.

·
6,631 Posts
Tomarse said:
unless you raised the gearbox shit loads
Or put splittie reduction boxes on upside down as someone said earlier ;)

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
garethj said:
Or put splittie reduction boxes on upside down as someone said earlier ;)
Intersting idea that. Do you know if it's been done before? I guess it's not great for your gear ratios but then you don't want to be going too fast when you're that low anyway.

·
6,631 Posts
Tomarse said:
Intersting idea that. Do you know if it's been done before?
Here's one car at a recent Las Vegas show that had it

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
Thanks guys. I hadn't realised that Franz's "Death" had that set up. I'll have to check out the build up thread on KCW about it in a bit more detail. :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cheers for all this lads! i take i will be needing the smallest possible wheel offset i can find??
and whats a VW Bus reduction box upside down??? and how will this benefit me?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts