Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright kids, this is my smashed '65 RHD Ghia which i bought a couple of months back for the bargain price of £800 (i actually got another KG IRS chassis, gearbox and loads of KG parts chucked in for free)

Anyhow this is what it looked like when i got it.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Then i cut off the damaged wing...

and bought a rust free one from The Karman Ghia Centre (top guys there, and very helpfull.. highly recomended indeed)

after a lot of messing arroung getting the gaps a near perfect as i could then i tacked the new one in place..

then it was a case of welding a couple of small patches to the chassis, the car wasnt that bad, for the price i bought it for i was expecting a LOT worse indeed.

The engine lid was pretty badly bent up, but i managed to get it straight, and then beat the dent out of it. :D

there was a pretty bad dent on the front wing, so i got out the hammer and dollys and managed to get it pretty straight
(pic of dent)

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I needed a set of wheels for it, so decided on some 16 or 17inch porsche wheels, ive allways liked teledials, but only ever seen them in 15".... untill Alltypes, where i spotted these 16x7! schweet!

at the moment they are fitted using adaptors and 5mm spacers on the rear, the rears clar the spring plates by 2mm, but i couldnt get the front low enough as the tyres touched the outer arch....

so i made a 4 inch narrowed beam

ive also added a rollover bar, and have hydraulic handbrake on order, the suspension is ajuatable Spax up front, Konis on the rear and a camber compensator (strap type). Engine is just a 1600 on twin solex's, i'm gonna keep this engine in for now untill i find out what class i'll be in for Autotesting.

Modifications that i have planned are 944 tubo brakes up front on lowered spindles.... but its just a case of finding some 4 pots at a reasonable price.

At the moment i'm just sorting the bodywork out, getting it reasonably straight, then i'll paint it, and i have a new interior ready to go in.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well its been about two months since i bought it, and i got it on the road in a month ;)

got my exhaust ripped off tho, brand spanking new header and backbox, destroyed on netto car park!

this is what did the damage..

also in the pipeline is a carbon fibre bonnet and engine lid.... just trying to get a decent quote ;)

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
you can run a hydraulic handbrake, a slong as you still have the cable facility.

yeah it was on ebay, i wasnt goin to look at it, but i was in the area and thought i might aswell, i thought it would have been totally wrecked, but it wasnt that bad at all, it even had a recipt for a new wiring loom @ £400!, a set of 4 brand new firestone 145's, 1600 engine that started up first time! the only rust was a couple of small holes on the floorpan, and the accident damage.

robbeckett, when was it registered in rotherham?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
you can have a seperate leaver if you want.... or you can get a universal cylinder and bracket, and attach it to your origional handbrake (mounted behind), so when you pull your hand brake you have cable and hydraulic working at the same time/ or slacken off your cables when your racing.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.