Volkszone Forum banner

221 - 240 of 242 Posts

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
:D

Back at it this morning before the heat became too much (a rare british problem). This was my second pre-training plan run and as it was such a nice day I pushed the envelope a little further. Not fast by any means but one hour of continuous jogging is now in the bank. I’m getting my running stamina back, which is good.....because this is a marathon, not a sprint.

In what will become an ‘exciting’ new feature of my run reports, today’s musical highlights were:

Stir It Up - Patti La Belle
Ring The Bells - James
Dominator - Human Resource

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/andrew-smullen

Keep on running!
Andy
🙂

Tubbyrunster (Insta & Faceache)

#londonmarathon #vlm2020 #marathontraining #tubbyrunster #teamorange #musculardystrophyuk #virginlondonmarathon

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 ·
Untitled by Andrew Smullen, on Flickr

Today is the day, the start of my London Marathon training 2021! A slow and steady 5km to get the ball rolling and a big tick on my training plan which now has pride of place on the kitchen wall. Let the games commence, you can watch the horror unfold right here.

Today’s musical highlights were....

Every Time We Touch - Cascada
Curse Curse - James

....and if you’d like to play a part in this madness, you can sponsor me here:

Andy Smullen's London Marathon 2021

Keep on running!
Andy
:)

#londonmarathon #vlm2020 #marathontraining #tubbyrunster #teamorange #musculardystrophyuk #virginlondonmarathon

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·
Good good! 😃
Yes yes :D

Week one is over....

Boom! My recent hard work has paid off and over the course of a month or so I’ve steadily built up my distance to the point where I can (almost) jog 10k. This is a significant distance as these are the blocks from which I can build my marathon. Just got a leisurely 5k tomorrow and then my first week’s marathon training can be ticked off. Glacially slow (as ever) and I had to walk about half a mile (on and off) towards the end BUT so far so good.

In other news; I swallowed a fly (I don’t know why I swallowed a fly, perhaps I’ll die).

Finally; today’s musical highlights keeping me ticking along were....

The Logical Song - Scooter
Coming Home (Part 2) - James
Sample-Mania - DJ Seduction
Chime - Orbital

....and if you’d like to play a part in this madness, you can sponsor me here:

Keep on running!
Andy
🙂

#londonmarathon #vlm2020 #marathontraining #tubbyrunster #teamorange #musculardystrophyuk #virginlondonmarathon #10k

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
Cheers guys :) Back out today, in the wind and the rain. My first test of commitment....although I'm sure there'll be alot more!

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·

G’day!

I started the day by applying Vaseline to my body, some of it in unspeakable areas. This means two things, a) my London Marathon training distances are increasing and b) I’m too curvy to run those distances without chub rub.

Thanks to this slippery assistance I was able to go the distance and hit my target of 7 miles.....slowly of course, stopping briefly to speak to friends and to pet the pictured Basset Hound. I ALWAYS stop for Bassets. It’s the law....my law!

Today’s musical highlight keeping me rolling along was slightly different but very welcome. My favourite radio show team (Radcliffe & Maconie) were interviewing Tim Booth who just happens to be the lead singer of ‘James’, my favourite band. I think all of these elements (along with perfect running weather) played no small part in getting me to my goal today.

If you’d like to play a part in this madness, you can sponsor me here:

Keep on running!
Andy

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·

Due to work and other commitments I’ve had to bring my weekend ‘long’ run forward this week. That said, being a rest week means that my long run wasn’t that long at all.

I was scheduled to run 5 miles but fell short at 4.5 because despite the clouds it was quite warm and I really should’ve taken water with me. Hey Ho, lesson learned and it’s all miles in the bank so I’m not too concerned.

Today’s musical highlights keeping me rolling along were:

The Irish Rover - The Pogues
No One’s Bothered - Sleaford Mods

The latter probably echoing what you’re thinking after reading this 🤪 If you’d like to play a part in this madness, you can sponsor me here:

Keep on running!
Andy

#londonmarathon #vlm2020 #marathontraining #tubbyrunster #teamorange #musculardystrophyuk #virginlondonmarathon #sleafordmods #thepogues

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·
G’day Runsters,

A troubled week saw no running on Wednesday or Thursday due to gout in my big toe; a rich man’s disease that seems to have affected this chubby pauper.

Today though, with my millionaire’s toe pain finally healed I was scheduled to run 8 miles on my training plan but decided I’d be happy with anything over 5.....however, with some short walk breaks, I managed 7 miles. I’ll take that (and party).

Today’s entertainment was provided once more by Radcliffe & Maconie’s 6Music show which kept my mind off gasping for air like an asthmatic goldfish on a beach.

Still, a result is a result and that’s another 7 miles in the bank. If you’d like to play a part in this madness, you can sponsor me here:

Keep on running!
Andy
🙂

#londonmarathon #vlm2020 #marathontraining #tubbyrunster #teamorange #musculardystrophyuk #virginlondonmarathon #radcliffeandmaconie #6music

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 ·
Excellent! Keep it up! :D
Cheers!

Back to it today and with the heat rising I have to say that I was dreading today’s run but with temperatures set to rise further I’m just gonna have to pull on my big boy pants and get on with it. Despite sweating like Matt Hancock on GMB I managed a good solid 5 miler. Happy with that.

Today’s musical highlights keeping this tubster rolling along were:

Can’t Say I Ain’t Country - Florida Georgia Line
Sally MacLennane - The Pogues

Keep on running!
Andy
🙂

#londonmarathon #vlm2020 #marathontraining #tubbyrunster #teamorange #musculardystrophyuk #virginlondonmarathon #floridageorgialine #thepogues #matthancock

·
Premium Member
15,570 Posts
That copy and paste button must be getting some hammer.😁

I've been pootling along. No real aims, just one foot in front of the other. Having said that, I've noticed that several fell races have been staged locally. I want to do one and dread the thought of not being 'hill fit' in equal measures. The saving grace is, they all appear to only be accepting online entries and are full before I realise it's happening.

Young Fordette is doing quite well in the school sports environment. They recently did cross country, the girl who came second was over 80 seconds behind (the course is just over 2k) and she beat the fastest boy by 40 seconds. As the distances get shorter, the closer the races are and she lost out in the 100m. Tonight she's running with her club and it's role reversal, she comes trailing in, in the midfield.

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 ·
That copy and paste button must be getting some hammer.😁
Takes me longer to update my media whoring updates than it does to run these days :D

Young Fordette is doing quite well in the school sports environment. They recently did cross country, the girl who came second was over 80 seconds behind (the course is just over 2k) and she beat the fastest boy by 40 seconds. As the distances get shorter, the closer the races are and she lost out in the 100m. Tonight she's running with her club and it's role reversal, she comes trailing in, in the midfield.
Go MiniSol!! Speed isn't a problem I'm likely to encounter any time soon but my pace times are slowly improving. I've shed about 1.5 stones so that will help of course.

I think you should get back to your fell running but just to be clear.....I won't be joining you #becuasehills :D

·
Premium Member
15,570 Posts
Takes me longer to update my media whoring updates than it does to run these days :D

Go MiniSol!! Speed isn't a problem I'm likely to encounter any time soon but my pace times are slowly improving. I've shed about 1.5 stones so that will help of course.

I think you should get back to your fell running but just to be clear.....I won't be joining you #becuasehills :D
I wouldn't dream of asking you to go fell running.

........when I suggest it to you, it's a trail run, with some slight inclines.😁

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #236 ·
I wouldn't dream of asking you to go fell running.

........when I suggest it to you, it's a trail run, with some slight inclines.😁
Ah, the old Sol subterfuge. I need to be vigilant :D

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #237 ·
Goodness gracious, great ball of fire! The British summer has landed.

With the temp already at 20°C / 68°F (and rising) when I set off and with yesterday’s beers laying heavy inside me I wasn’t really looking forward to today’s long run. BUT I smashed my targets with plenty of firsts for 2021 in the process.

Specifically; first time running in shorts, first time wearing a cap, first time carrying two drinks and (most notably): my first long run without a walk break of any sort. All this in high temperatures and with a couple of long hill climbs. Most of my run was alongside the canal in amazing countryside too and was a great day to be alive.....the runner’s high is strong within me today!

Bits ‘n’ Pieces - Artemesia
Irish Rover - The Pogues

If anybody needs me I’ll be in the pub ‘rehydrating’ for the rest of the afternoon.

Keep on running!
Andy
🙂

#londonmarathon #vlm2020 #marathontraining #tubbyrunster #teamorange #musculardystrophyuk #virginlondonmarathon #thepogues #artemesia

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 ·

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #240 ·

I don’t know if it was the heat, the humidity, a lack of water or plain old running anxiety but I just wasn’t feeling it today. It took me a good couple of miles and walk breaks to get into my rhythm but once there I plodded along and hit my target: so 5 hot miles in the bank.

Summary; target hit but sweaty mess.

Beautiful Beaches - James
Gigantic - Pixies

It’s bath time for me!

Keep on running!
Andy
🙂

#londonmarathon #vlm2020 #marathontraining #tubbyrunster #teamorange #musculardystrophyuk #virginlondonmarathon #james #pixies

221 - 240 of 242 Posts