Volkszone Forum banner
261 - 280 of 302 Posts

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #263 ·

Hey Runsters!

A rare midweek update during my break away in London (we’re staying in the U.K. because Covid has f*cked up our overseas travel plans, but I digress).

I have done nothing but eat and drink since Saturday’s long run….however, having a pang of guilt at lunchtime, I left a restaurant during desert, shunned the option of a car with family and walked the 4 miles to Harrod’s. It being London traffic and all, I beat the car to our destination and walked the four miles in about an hour….not much slower than my running pace 😂

As luck would have it, my route took me along some of the London Marathon route; along The Embankment, The Mall and past Queen Liz’s crib. Sights I’ll be seeing in a mere 6 weeks through much more tired eyes.

If you’d like to play a part in this madness, you can sponsor me here:

Keep on er, walking!
Andy
:)

Tubbyrunster (Insta & Faceache)

#londonmarathon #vlm2020 #marathontraining #tubbyrunster #teamorange #musculardystrophyuk #virginlondonmarathon #buckinghampalace #buckhouse #london #themall #theembankment #marathonfinishline

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 ·

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 ·

Hey Runsters!

The day: Saturday. The target: 18 miles.

Off the back of a week’s break with family and with cake & coffee very much oozing from every pore I can’t pretend I wasn’t a little apprehensive about this one.

I was very nervous and my friend with me (also running the marathon) has been plagued with injuries. So not a great start to a long run and at 4.38 miles it very nearly came unravelled. My legs had turned to jelly, I felt a bit dizzy and had an overwhelming urge to stop….which I did. Fortunately, a five minute break, an earlier than planned gel sachet, a gulp of water and some deep breaths saw me back on the road (well, canal path). I think it was ‘merely’ anxiety but unpleasant nonetheless.

Despite intermittent rain it was a very warm and hard run and the 18 mile target seemed unattainable for most of it. However, at around 15 miles I was overcome by a huge sense of calm and belief won the battle over doubt. Don’t get me wrong, it was not easy at any point but at 15 miles I ‘knew’ I could keep my head down and reach my goal. Not just reach it but surpass it with a final distance of 19.3 miles covered in 4hrs 40mins.

With just 0.7 miles between me and 20 miles it would be easy to kick oneself about not pushing to the next milestone…..but I won’t.

20 miles will keep for another week.

Musical highlights keeping this tubster rolling along across the miles were:

Unfinished Sympathy - Massive Attack
Juliet Bravo Tv Theme Tune - Derek Goom (yes really).

Keep on running!
Andy

#londonmarathon #vlm2020 #marathontraining #tubbyrunster #teamorange #musculardystrophyuk #virginlondonmarathon #julietbravo #massiveattack #unfinishedsympathy #anxiety

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #268 ·
Good man.👍

Those ducks look familiar, is that where we met for a run last year?😁
It is a ‘Flash’ but Pennington rather than Scotman’s. We did pass Scotsman’s Flash on the way to Wigan though :)

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #269 ·

Hey Runsters!

After the success of my 19 miler a couple of weeks ago I’d like to tell you that I’d built on that success…..but I can’t, so I won’t.

For many reasons (not least that I have a new job working the same hours as Dolly Parton) I haven’t done any running at all this week. Even as I type (when I should really be running) I’m on my way home from a messy stag night in London and running couldn’t be further from my mind.

However, with the marathon only 4 weeks away it’s time to get my shit together. Tune in next week to see if I manage to pull my socks up!

Keep on running!
Andy

#londonmarathon #vlm2020 #marathontraining #tubbyrunster #teamorange #musculardystrophyuk #virginlondonmarathon #9til5 #dollyparton

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #270 ·
Plant Shorts Tree Grass Outdoor recreation

Hey Runsters!

When we last saw our intrepid runster he had been struggling to get back on the horse after holidays and new working commitments had driven a stake through the heart of his marathon training schedule.

Yesterday though, with just two weeks to go until the London Marathon 2021 it was time to get back on said horse for a final long ‘ride’ out. (Fashionably) a week late to the long run party, a 22 mile jaunt had been planned but after a discussion with someone far more knowledgeable than I (thank you Bernie) I decided to dial it down to an 18 - 20 miler and agreed to pull up at any sign of trouble.

Once again selecting the Leeds-Liverpool canal tow path for its flatness, my friend and I set off in the unwelcome warmth of the autumn sun. The plan was simple; run 10 miles out, turn and run the 10 miles back. The fact that the ten mile marker coincided with a pub full of people drinking outside in the sunshine meant that gargantuan levels of self control were required not to stop & join them!

A pleasant run (at least on the surface) but the pressure and unseasonal heat saw me run out of water, energy and mental strength at 17 miles. Discretion being the better part of valour, I decided not to try and push further and called for emergency assistance (wife with a car and a boot full of water).

I had hoped this post to have a more triumphant feel but it is what it is and we are where we are. That said, 17 miles is a distance not to be sniffed at and only in marathon training does one get disappointed about such an achievement.

If you’ve resisted the temptation to stop reading (and haven’t fallen asleep) I thank you for joining me on the journey so far. Now the taper begins ahead of the big day in just 2 WEEKS! EEK!

Musical highlights keeping this tubster rolling along across the miles yesterday were:

Whisky in the Jar - The Pogues
TJ Hooker Tv Theme Tune - Mark Snow (yes really).

Keep on running!
Andy
🙂

#londonmarathon #vlm2020 #marathontraining #tubbyrunster #teamorange #musculardystrophyuk #virginlondonmarathon #pogues #tjhooker #tvthemes

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #272 ·
17 miles is still pretty impressive! 🙂
Indeed, you’re right. As I’ve mused before; only during marathon training does one get disappointed with achieving such a distance!

A much lighter week this week culminating with my last weekend run of ten miles. Then it’s all down to determination (and fate).

Reactions: type3

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #273 ·
Cloud Smile Sky Sleeve Asphalt

Rectangle Font Asphalt Parallel Magenta

Almost two years ago, in October 2019 I agreed to run another (final?) London Marathon to support a friend.

Today, pint in hand (a fruity IPA since you ask), I marked the end of this long, sweaty training journey with an unseasonably warm 8.5 mile run.

It’s hard to believe that this time next week I’ll be sat in my hotel with (or perhaps without) a seventh London Marathon medal either celebrating or commiserating.

One thing is for sure; I’ve given it my best shot. I’m not super human, I haven’t always given the challenge the 110% that it deserves….I’ve just done my best with the cards I’ve been dealt. That may or may not translate to another medal next week but I’m proud of what I’ve achieved nonetheless.

I now need your support to help my charity (MDUK) to reach their goal in one of their toughest ever times. If you can spare anything from 50p upwards to support my cause, it’ll make all of my efforts worthwhile and help to make the lives of those that can’t run just that little bit easier.

Keep smiling and keep on running!
Andy

#londonmarathon #vlm2020 #marathontraining #tubbyrunster #teamorange #musculardystrophyuk #virginlondonmarathon

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #274 ·
Font Brand Rectangle Graphics Logo

Hey Volkszoners!

They think it’s all over….it is now! With this leisurely 3.4 mile jog I declare my @londonmarathon 2021 training officially over. I won’t now run another step in anger until I line up at the start in Greenwich Park on Sunday, I can now do no more and whatever will be, will be.

Thank you to all those who’ve supported me both mentally and financially, if you’d like to join those in the latter group please clicky the linky (in aid of Muscular Dystrophy UK):

A special thank you to my long suffering wife Donna for holding the fort whilst I wobbled my way around the north west for the past 24 months and also to my cousin, Lynn for collecting my race number this morning along with the unstoppable ‘Nanny’ Grace.

Carrying me through these final miles were:

Scooter - The Logical Song and
Bizarre Inc - Playing With Knives

Look out for me on the telly box on Sunday.

Keep smiling and keep on running!
Andy

#londonmarathon #vlm2020 #marathontraining #tubbyrunster #teamorange #musculardystrophyuk #virginlondonmarathon #bizarreinc #scooter

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #276 ·
GOOD LUCK ANDY!

(y)
Cheers Bri!

If anyone wants to track my glacial progress you can enter my bib number (39263) online or on the London Marathon app.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Good luck mate. Enjoy the atmosphere, Especially if it going to be your last.
I’ve done London 5 times & think I’ve cried on all of them. Although my last London almost killed me. I was in the medical tent for an hour & my core temp was up to 40.2c.

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #279 ·
Font Material property Parallel Magenta Rectangle

Hey Volkszoners!

Marathon race day is upon me, the nerves are crushing, the smell of deep heat is overwhelming but I’ll be heading to the start line to give it my best shot. I’m not 100% fit so what that best shot will be is in the lap of the gods.

A heartfelt thank you for the overwhelming support; you all rock! If anybody else would like to support me (and the fantastic charity Muscular Dystrophy U.K.), the link is below:

Look out for me on the telly box tomorrow. My race number is 39263. Time for bed.

Keep on running!
Andy

#londonmarathon #vlm2020 #marathontraining #tubbyrunster #teamorange #musculardystrophyuk #virginlondonmarathon #raceday #london #weruntogether

Reactions: Zebedee

·
Premium Member
15,590 Posts
I thought I'd bump this.

Your good man Smull, former Mr VZi, medal whore and all round good bloke is on his way. He's at least a quarter of the way round and according to his splits, running like a metronome, albeit a metronome slightly gummed up with treacle. 😉😁

I doubt he'll pick up any tunes from here, but let's pretend he will and try and lift his spirits.....or bring back memories of chaffed thighs, bleeding nipples, tears and begging for it to end. Or as Smull calls is; A night out with LT.😜

261 - 280 of 302 Posts