Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

After the success of my Model Big 'T' thread here: http://www.volkszone.co.uk/VZi/showthread.php?t=485095,
I decided a similar thread for my project Tamiya Sand Scorcher might go down well!

So after a year or so of searching for a Rough, Rolling Sand Scorcher that I can afford I finally came accross this on ebay with 9 days to go and ended mid afternoon on a Thursday, so I thought most people are gonna be at work while this ends so I'll keep an eye on it. It sat at £102 right up untill the last 2 minutes when someone else decided to bid on it, so with 30 seconds to go I chucked in my maximum bid and got it for £40 less at £150.
It came with a few other bits not seen in the pictures which were 2 brand new front 'Smoothee' Tyres, Naff old servos, Speed Control and Receiver and a pretty good condition Radio Box Lid with all 4 Cam Locks but No Lower Radio Box! lol.
My plans are to Repaint the Body, as it might look clean and shiney from a distance but up close it is really un-even as it seems to have been done using an small AirFix Paint Brush, Not sure if I will be keeping the Box Art theme or doing something a bit more Custom. Chassis wise I will be using pretty much all of Rads Awesome Alloy Parts including his Box Art Wheels and I also have some nice new Padla Trak rear tyres on the way.
It's basically gonna be getting a Major Overhaul!

This thread will progress somewhat slower than the Big 'T' Build as it will be Updated 'As and When' I can afford the parts I will be using.

Here it is prettymuch as it arrived, not an Actual Sand Scorcher Body but the virtually Identical Monster Beetle Body as they are much easier and cheaper to get hold of if you wreck them.... and this Is going to get Thrashed! It's also sitting on Ford Ranger Wheels but I will be changing it back to Scorcher Wheels... Skinny at front and Fat out back!

A crack in the Windscreen:

No rear window and cage has been painted black, this will be changing:

Also came with the original Scorcher Exhaust.... but this will also be changing :D

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some of the Chassis which is actually in pretty good nick!

All the Aluminium Parts will be getting a good Clean and maybe even a Polishing!

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sweet i always wanted one of those (but i wanted to stick a scale flat 4 in there with the stinger exhaust!!)
Aye, if it was gonna be a Shelf Queen like so many are now, I would have bought the 1:9 Scale Kubelwagen Kit and used the Engine (with some modifications) from that, but since this is gonna get Thrashed round dirt tracks and fly over Sand Dunes, the near enough £100 for the Kubelwagen kit just to nick the Engine from it really ain't worth it! as something would probably break off it on each run! :lol:

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Aye, if it was gonna be a Shelf Queen like so many are now, I would have bought the 1:9 Scale Kubelwagen Kit and used the Engine (with some modifications) from that, but since this is gonna get Thrashed round dirt tracks and fly over Sand Dunes, the near enough £100 for the Kubelwagen kit just to nick the Engine from it really ain't worth it! as something would probably break off it on each run! :lol:
no no you misread that the scale model actually working flat 4 aircraft engine like this

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
As a VW and RC fan I love what you're planning to do, but before anyone else goes hunting for one of these and a stash of parts at a premium on Ebay, don't!!

Tamiya have just announced the re-release of the Holiday Buggy at a big Japanese hobby show so it's surely just a matter of time before the more popular Sand Scorcher, based on the same chassis, is re-released too.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i've had 2 of these..... are they worht anything at all? they're propper oldstyleee:)
Give you a Tenner each :D

As a VW and RC fan I love what you're planning to do, but before anyone else goes hunting for one of these and a stash of parts at a premium on Ebay, don't!!

Tamiya have just announced the re-release of the Holiday Buggy at a big Japanese hobby show so it's surely just a matter of time before the more popular Sand Scorcher, based on the same chassis, is re-released too.
Yea I already knew about this, theres a big thread on Tamiya Club. Parts really ain't as expensive as everyone thinks and if the aim of what you want is a Modified Racer like me then all the parts you want are Aftermarket so cost the same no matter if your Chassis is New or Old. But if your just after building a new kit or want a 'Shelf Queen' and think you can wait to see if the do a re-re Scorcher then do so yes.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
I bought one of these about 5 years back for £15 but there are loads of bits missing - mirrors, rear number plate, exhaust, front light/number plate panel broken, no rear lights etc etc

Is there anywhere I can get them from as I've tried a few model shops and they haven't been able to help me.

Cheers

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought one of these about 5 years back for £15 but there are loads of bits missing - mirrors, rear number plate, exhaust, front light/number plate panel broken, no rear lights etc etc

Is there anywhere I can get them from as I've tried a few model shops and they haven't been able to help me.

Cheers
Ebay is prettymuch your only choice or you could join Tamiya Club they have hundreds of Scorcher owners so there are always bits coming up for sale or trade.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok so I've got the new 'Proper' Tyres now

The Skinny Smoothee's for the front:

The Fat PadlaTrak's for the rear:

·
Registered
12,242 Posts
Cool. I've wanted a sand scorcher for years but could never afford one.

One of my mates bought a NOS boxed one from a car boot sale last year and payed just £30 for it.
Sold it on ebay 2 weeks later for £600. :mad:

Got a tamiya hornet sitting under my bed at the moment though. :)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Yea I already knew about this, theres a big thread on Tamiya Club. Parts really ain't as expensive as everyone thinks and if the aim of what you want is a Modified Racer like me then all the parts you want are Aftermarket so cost the same no matter if your Chassis is New or Old. But if your just after building a new kit or want a 'Shelf Queen' and think you can wait to see if the do a re-re Scorcher then do so yes.
Totally understand and respect your ideas and motivation, there's no telling yet what has been dumbed down or sanitised for the re-issue (the proprietary Li-Fe battery mentioned on that link sounds ominous) and it's a given that a decent parts hunt and resto can certainly be more fun.

I think that the re-issue may be good for all - those who want a new shelf queen or something to trash can take it out on a fresh kit without breaking the bank, whilst the collectors and restorers will hopefully see some more compatible parts become available at sensible money - who knows, those hanging onto stashes of original parts may also try to move them on before the new version is released.

Look forward to seeing this thread progress.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Ebay is prettymuch your only choice or you could join Tamiya Club they have hundreds of Scorcher owners so there are always bits coming up for sale or trade.
Just bought a whole new body including driver glass and everything off e-bay. I'll stick a picture up when it's all painted and assembled.

Cheers

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just bought a whole new body including driver glass and everything off e-bay. I'll stick a picture up when it's all painted and assembled.

Cheers
Cool :cool: You gonna paint it Box Art or make your own scheme up?

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Give you a Tenner each :D

All i can remember is they had sand tires unlimited or something on the back, cream rims and big abec bearings???

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
I'm more autistic than artistic so I will have to think about it.

Is your one up top the correct colours? Blue/white?
Do you want to sell your exhaust if you're not using it?

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm more autistic than artistic so I will have to think about it.

Is your one up top the correct colours? Blue/white?
Do you want to sell your exhaust if you're not using it?
:lol:

Yea mine is currently the Box Art Paint Scheme Blue and White.
I may sell my original exhaust, will have to see how the new one turns out.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts