Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..the starter is turning even slower than before !!

The bush which i removed was a lot longer than the original, anyway when i got the new bush it was way slack in the hole, so i made one out of phozzy bronze at work to fit the reamed out hole. Anyways got it to fit and the centre is spot on for size, turned over the engine and its turning really slow even cold. The problem before was that it wouldnt start when hot but from cold no problem at all.

Really stuck with this one so any help really appreciated.

Cheers

Russ.. :hangloose

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yes...
Good strong battery..

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep all wiring is new including the battery earth to case strap :crazy:

Frustrating one this one, gonna pull engine i reckon get a good look at starter connections but cant think there will be a problem there..

Cheers

Russ.. :hangloose

·
Registered
18,482 Posts
I am suspicious that the new bush was slack in hole.

The bore in the bellhousing changed when the starter
went from 6V to 12V. The pitch diameter of the flywheel
teeth and starter teeth changed then too.

Is it possible that your starter is not the correct one for the
flywheel? That will indeed make cranking slow as the teeth
don't engage properly.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dude that sounds logical, only thing is before i replaced the bush it spun lovely when cold but when i got the engine up to speed it wouldnt spin. The hole in the bellhousing has been drilled by some muppet, its definately a 12v gearbox as i have both bushes 6 and 12V the 6 is to big the 12 to small so i measured the hole with a micrometer and made a bush which i had to knock in with nylon hammer i then checked the id to make sure it hadnt gone oval. So its a sweet fit.
Is there any way of referencing the starter motor against the flywheel to see if its right one.

Any more help appreciated

Cheers

Russ..

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
My mate had this problem on his split, it was the wrong bush, he didnt know it had a bug box in already!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jim thats top work i will have a look at site now..
I think the box is out of a bug, but ive just taken the motor out again, earthed up turned ignition over and the starter is just kicking the pin through it isnt spinning the gear, stupid question i guess but to me that sounds like a dodgy starter motor.
Any more help/suggestions ?

Cheers

Russ..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts