Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
25,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about this for a while, its kind of an offshoot from all the what year is it/what doors etc fit my car threads.

Assuming the following:
Export/deluxe spec only.
German built.
Totally as left the factory and unmodified in any way.

Just how many model specific model years of beetle production can be identified just by looking at the car,and without access to the vin no.

The obvious easy one is the 67, long bonnet/thin trim combination being one of many features that don't appear on any other year.

The next obvious one to me is the 61, its the only year without semaphores that retains the early glass lensed oval tailights,and thus has the one year only six wire flasher stalk.

58, only year with drain tubes in the engine bay leading from the rear vents to the engine bay shelves.

I can think of a few more easily enough. Anyone up for a challenge?

And bear in mind that model years from 1956 onwards start on August 1st of the preceding year.

·
Registered
25,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure you get the point, the armrests used on a 68 were the same as those used on 69,70 and 71s at least, maybe later I can't remember, What combination of parts makes a 68 unique from any other year?

·
Banned
3,142 Posts
my 68 has pre 67 arm rests, 1 owner car, so hasn't been changed (with the chrome strip) 69 onwards have the big plastic/rubber type

and yes i've missed the point, one year only stuff, to that year.

·
Registered
25,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thinking about it for a moment, I can id 56,57,58,59,60,61,64,65,66,67,68,69 as distinct model years with relative ease, i'll have to think about the rest.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
1951: Only year to have crotch coolers....

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
'64's, decklid- T handle and long number plate light.

·
Registered
25,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tom,trust me fella,that car has the wrong door handles.
Regarding the pre 56 cars its not so much a model year thing,as many changes were made mid year.
Crotch coolers and 1951 is a good one.
Zwitters, another good one, Oct 52-Mar 53.
Gizago spot on easiest identifying mark of a 64.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Once this threas has run it's course how about a timeline of the distinguishing features? Real anorak stuff, I love it! :hangloose

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Rad Dubs and Englishmen said:
Gizago spot on easiest identifying mark of a 64.
Mine was built early '64 and has the push button... small windows, of course.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts