Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long can I soak them in it for? Guy I bought the thinners off said be careful cos it'll eat the metal after a while?

Tho thinners is sold in a metal can....

·
Premium Member
8,964 Posts
Carb cast metal is more delicate than the steel cans you get thinners in. Pure thinners shouldn't harm the metal, but if it's Gunwash, there are other more aggressive solvents in there, and if there's any acid, it will damage carb metal. I would be more worried about the plastic & rubber bits in the carb though. There should be no need to soak anyway, I've always found thinners to shift any goo or gum on/in carbs instantly.

·
Registered
15,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Laurence Fletcher said:
Carb cast metal is more delicate than the steel cans you get thinners in. Pure thinners shouldn't harm the metal, but if it's Gunwash, there are other more aggressive solvents in there, and if there's any acid, it will damage carb metal. I would be more worried about the plastic & rubber bits in the carb though. There should be no need to soak anyway, I've always found thinners to shift any goo or gum on/in carbs instantly.
Cool, I'll have a go tonight without soaking them at first. There's no plastic bits left as I've totally stripped them and I'm pretty sure it's just plain thinners.

Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts