Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this setup on a 1600tp wega unit and have tried and rebuilt a number of donated carb's to get the engine running sweet all to no avail.

The engine can be a pig to start - have to turn it over and over with a bit of throttle until it starts firing - its almost as if its too rich and flooded although not when cold and on choke when it will tend to just start but if you stall it before its warm it can be tricky again.

It seems to tick over ok when warmed up a bit but it has a mad flat spot and really struggles to pick up until the revs get going above 1,500 rpm or so - this makes it really difficult to drive around town.

The best drivablity we had with it was with a loaned bocar but I had to return this and it still was not great and I never hear anything good about those carbs anyway.

I read somewhere that the 009 (mechanical advance/not vacuum) does not work well with the 34 carb. Something to do with the 34 running too lean at lower rpm as the 009 timing at idle is further advanced than the vacuum based dizzy.

This is the article I got this info from...
http://www.aircooledtech.com/34pict3_modification/

Does anybody else know if this is the case?

The 009 on mine has been strobe timed and set to 30 degrees advance at 3000+ rpm. It has a pletronix electronic ignition and coil so I don't feel its an issue with timing.

We also tried a vacuum advance distributer but had more issues with that so the 009 went back on and certainly runs better at higher rpm's with this dizzy.

So the question is - can this set-up ever be made to work well - I want rid of this mad flat spot.
If so is it just my knackered carb and a rebuilt solex is the answer?

I do not want to spend a lot of money getting a rebuilt solex carb if its not the answer.

Any ideas and or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks... ;)

·
Registered
527 Posts
hi mate ive got the same prob. dont buy a new carb,not saying yours is the same prob as me but got a brand new carb still has the prob so im going 2 try a standard dis on it. mine runs well top end and sort of ticks over but is a bitch 1500 up, i will let u know how get on. ps mine running 009 aswell.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, let me know how you get on....
I tried a vacuum diz (second hand) and it was even worse, ticked over but didn't advance correctly - to much I think... though could have been the carb as well.

·
Tech Guru/Mr VZi '06
41,834 Posts
Was the vac distributor the right one for the carb you have?
Do you have a stock airfilter, and are the pre-heat valves in it working correctly?
Is the carb float level set correctly?
Is the auto-choke set correctly?
Is the accelerator pump adjusted correctly, and the pump jet squirting in the right direction.
Is the inlet manifold pre-heat pipe getting to hot to touch after a couple of minutes running?
All those things can cause a flat spot, as well as the carb/distributor combination you have.

·
Registered
136 Posts
i just put back the original distributor with vacum and i had all probs solved, smoother, pulls harder, forget about the 009 with the PICT-3

·
I really must get out more
6,763 Posts
I agree 009's and 34's dont work well together. They can be improved by going up a size in idle jet and main jet to cure the flat spots. Funnily enough some owners actually reported improved fuel consumption - probably due to the vehicle needing less throttle and pumping to pull away from rest.

Its best with these carbs to run the correct vac distributor tho. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I welcome the input guys... I am tempted to get my carb rebuilt with new bushes, jets, etc. Then if no improvement sell the 009 and get a decent vacuum dizzy and electronic ignition.

Can anybody make any recommendations of somebody in the Birmingham area that does this type of carb work?

I heard a chap called Laurie Ellis who does these - not sure where be is located, anybody have a contact number?

I probably will not do anything if it takes the van of the road until after bug-in as there is no way I am going to miss a trip to belgium as it runs well on the motorways, just a real pain around town.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts